Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

My car vibrates while at stop and in Drive at stop light

Customer Question

My car vibrates while at stop and in Drive at stop light. What is causing this and how do I fix it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Car?
-What make and model is your Car?
-How many miles are on your Car?
-What type of engine is in your Car?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The car has 141,000 miles but the transmission has been replaced with an after market Waterloo transmission. It has about 37,000 miles on it.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like the engine is running rough. Could the engine be misfiring?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, engine at idle is okay.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
SO it runs rough when accelerating or cruising?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No, it idles fine, it cruises fine, and it shift very good. It just shutters/vibrates at a stop while in Drive.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
SO it vibrates because of a low idle?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It does not seem to be an idling issue. The engine was re-manufactured and runs pretty smooth.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.

So it does not idle rough but it vibrates at stop signs?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

That's right!

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.

Well I am sorry. I don't have enough info to help you.

I will leave this question open.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm not sure how to explain it better but I will try. It's almost as the car feels like the excellerator is being pushed down slightly and the transmission is wanting to move the car forward. If you take your foot off the gas peddle the car begins to move forward freely. Not like your typical car reaction. Most vehicles don't feel like the transmission is engaged while at a stop.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
SO it will almost accelerate by itself when you let off of the brake?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Yes! I think that is why it seems to jerk when I move the automatic shift selector from Drive to 2, 1 or Reverse.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
Have you checked the trans fluid? Is it full and clean?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, the fluid level is good and the transmission has been flushed in the last six months.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
When you put it in Drive, how does the trans shift? Does it only do it from going from 2 to 1 or reverse?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
When in Drive and accellerating the trasmission seems to shift just fine. It's only when the vehicle is at stop, with brake on and in gear. Then the thing sits there shuttering with the idle of the engine.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
What is the engine idle speed at?
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.

I am going to have you check for codes when this happens. Be sure its within the same key cycle or close to it. Here is the procedure.

Cycle the ignition switch On-Off-On-Off-On within 5 seconds.

Count the number of times the malfunction indicator lamp (check engine lamp) on the instrument panel flashes on and off. The number of flashes represents the diagnostic trouble code. There is a slight pause between the flashes representing the first and second digits of the code. Longer pauses separate individual trouble codes.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Just looking at the Tach it is around 800 RPM. I did the diagnostic check and it read 55. That appeared to be the only code that came up.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.

HHmmm... that seems to be ok.

I am have a hard time trying to figure this out.

In your opinion, is the problem in the trans or something with the engine.

This will at least give me a direction to go.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I really think it is transmission related since the problem disappeared when Transmission shop replaced the original TCM with a remanufactured one. That remanufactured TCM only lasted 2 weeks before it started malfunctioning. Then I bought another used TCM like my original one and put on the car and the problem reappeared. However, the transmission seems to work just fine with the exception of this anoying problem.
Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.

Sounds like the tcc solenoid my be acting up. That is odd that it did not set a code.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

I'm not sure which solenoid this is but I know the external solenoid pack was replaced a year ago with a new one.

Expert:  Amedee replied 8 years ago.
FOr this problem?