Tristan Franklin
Tristan Franklin, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
Experience:  8yrs. exp. engine repair performance brakes electrical air condition
10186415

2004 Pontiac sunfire: Sunroof..is stuck open

Customer Question

Sunroof on 2004 Pontiac sunfire is stuck open. How to close until repairs can be made?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tristan Franklin replied 6 years ago.

un fortunately the only thing you can possibly do is remove the motor and slide the glass forward, but it will take a little work accessing the motor, that is the only way. good luck. i hope i helped and please accept my answer. thanks T-MAN

• Remove the headliner as necessary. Refer to Headlining Trim Panel Replacement in Interior Trim.
    Object Number: 280687  Size: MH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  • Disconnect the wire harnesses from the express module (8).
  • Remove the tie wraps securing the wire harness to the drive and return tubes (5, 6).
    Object Number: 750809  Size: SH

Important: The sunroof motor/actuator cannot be reused if this procedure is followed.

• If the sunroof glass panel is not fully closed complete the following steps.
    4.1. Locate the allen head screw on the drive gear of the sunroof motor/actuator (1).

The allen head screw is accessible with the sunroof motor/actuator in place.

4.2. Remove the red retainer from the allen head screw using a small flat-blade tool, if equipped.
    4.3. Turn the allen head screw until the sunroof glass panel is fully closed.

You may need to apply a significant amount of force to move the sunroof actuator with the allen wrench.

4.4. Relieve the pressure on the sunroof motor/actuator by backing off the allen screw approximately 15 degrees.

Object Number: 750856  Size: SH
  • Remove the sunroof motor/actuator bolts (2) from the sunroof motor/actuator.
  • Disconnect the wire harness from the connector (1) on the sunroof motor/actuator.
  • Remove the sunroof motor/actuator from the sunroof module.
  •  

Object Number: 299300  Size: SH

Object Number: 879728  Size: SH

Object Number: 834205  Size: SH

• Start at the top of the windshield garnish molding (2).
  • Pull the garnish molding (2) firmly and evenly in order to disengage the retainers from the windshield pillar.
  • Remove the garnish molding (2) from the windshield pillar.
  • Pull the door weather strip away from the garnish molding (2).
  •  

Object Number: 280671  Size: SH

• Remove the front seat shoulder belt guide cover.
  • Remove the front seat shoulder belt guide bolt.
  • Pull the center pillar upper trim panel (1) outward at the roof in order to disengage the clips.
  • Remove the center pillar trim panel from the vehicle.
  •  

Object Number: 834447  Size: SH

• Pull out the top of the upper quarter trim panel.
  • Pull the trim panel (1) firmly and evenly in order to disengage the retainers from the upper quarter panel.
  • Remove the trim panel (1) from the upper quarter panel.
  •  

Object Number: 872022  Size: SH

Object Number: 330069  Size: SH

• Beginning at the joint, pull the sunroof opening finishing lace from the headliner.
  • Remove the sunroof opening finishing lace from the headliner.
  •  

• Use a small, flat-bladed tool in order to disengage the sunroof control switch from the headlining module.
    Object Number: 736989  Size: SH
  • Disconnect the connector from the sunroof control switch.
  • Remove the sunroof control switch from the vehicle.
  •  

Caution: Do not attempt to repair or alter the head impact energy-absorbing material glued to the headliner or to the garnish trims. If the material is damaged, replace the headliner and/or the garnish trim. Failure to do so could result in personal injury.

• Remove the sunshades. Refer to Sunshade Replacement .
  • Remove the coat hooks. Refer to Coat Hook Replacement .
  • Remove the windshield upper garnish moldings. Refer to Windshield Pillar Garnish Molding Replacement .
  • On the sedan perform the following procedures:
    4.1. Remove the center pillar upper trim panel. Refer to Center Pillar Upper Trim Panel Replacement .
    4.2. Remove the upper rear quarter trim panel. Refer to Quarter Upper Trim Panel Replacement .
  • On the coupe remove the rear quarter trim panel. Refer to Rear Quarter Trim Panel Replacement .
  • Remove the finish lace from the sunroof opening trim, if equipped. Refer to Sunroof Opening Trim Finish Lace Replacement in Roof.
  • Remove the sunroof power switch, if equipped. Refer to Sunroof Switch Replacement in Roof.
    Object Number: 872225  Size: SH
  • Disconnect the electrical connector (2) for the dome lamp wire harness (1) located on the instrument panel (I/P) lower tie bar (4) by the body control module (BCM).
    Object Number: 877982  Size: SH
  • Remove the rosebud clips retaining the dome lamp wire harness (6) from the windshield pillar.
  • Route the dome lamp wire harness (6) through the opening along the windshield pillar.

On the Cavalier remove enough of the I/P carrier to route the dome lamp wire harness (6) through the opening along the windshield pillar. Refer to Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages, and Console.

• Disconnect the electrical connector (4) for the rear view mirror, if required.
  • If equipped with OnStar® perform the following procedures:
    12.1. Disconnect the coaxial cable connectors from the OnStar® module.
    12.2. Remove the rosebud clips retaining the OnStar® coaxial cable harness (3) windshield pillar.
    12.3. Route the OnStar® coaxial cable harness (3) through the opening along the windshield pillar.
    12.4. Disconnect the coaxial cable connector (8) for the OnStar® cellular antenna.
  • If the vehicle is equipped with a digital radio, perform the following procedures:
    13.1. Disconnect the coaxial cable connector from the digital radio receiver
    13.2. Remove the rosebud clips retaining the coaxial cable harness (10) to the upper rear quarter panel and the rear shelf.
  • If the vehicle is equipped with a GPS sensor, perform the following procedure:
    14.1. Disconnect the coaxial cable electrical connector for the GPS sensor.
    14.2. Remove the rosebud clips retaining the GPS sensor coaxial cable harness (9) from the upper rear quarter panel.
  • Remove the push-in retainers (5) from the headliner (1).
  • Lower the headliner (1).
  • Disconnect the coaxial cable connectors (2) form the digital radio antenna, if equipped.
  • Remove the headliner (1) from the vehicle.
  • Remove the dome lamp assembly (7) from the headliner (1), if required.