ase_master327
ase_master327, Shop Owner
Experience:  +15 years experience on imports and domestics. Bumper to bumper diagnosis & repair.

2008 Subaru: turbo on my 2008..Spec..intake manifold off..loose

Customer Question

2008 Subaru Turbo Oil Line: I am trying to replace the oil supply line to the turbo on my 2008 US Spec Outback XT. It is really buried, and I've tried all day to get the intake manifold off. It's loose, but there is so much stuff jammed over, under, and through it, it's crazy. They even routed the fuel lines through the intake. Do I have to go to these lengths to get the line out?
Category: Car
Expert:  ase_master327 replied 5 years ago.
Hello...

There is a concern about the oil supply line to the turbo.. There is a mesh screen in the banjo bolt, and it needs to be cleaned out.. Here is what I have on it.

Otherwise, I have no idea what you are trying to do to the engine, and Subaru only supplies information about that screen on the 08 models, so far. Nothing about the actual line, or the turbo... nothing to work with at all... YET.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I pulled the screen from the banjo bolt. My oil supply to the turbo line is broken. The Oil line is a 2-piece affair. Unfortunately the ruptured line is the longer U-shaped piece with a banjo attaching to the fron and rear of the passenger-side head. I simply want to get it off, but it looks like I'm going to have to really dig down. I have the intake and every hose that I can see loose, except the fuel lines, which look like they're really going to be a pain.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I read your profile, and it's impressive. But I may need a Subaru specialist for this. But if you have an answer or can put me in contact with someone who can, I'll gladly pay you. And if you're wondering why it's not at the dealer, I like racing too and my warranty is voided. new that going in, and am a fairly good mechanic. There's just no friggin info out there on the newer Subarus yet. No manuals, no squat.
Hmmm... Here is a picture of it (on the 2007 model)... Is this like the one you have.. Component #1 in the pic...
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yup unfortunately Subaru really doesn't have anything on this year model, yet.

There may be someone else who can help you better, though.. So I will opt out, and hopefully someone can come make sense out of this.

I'll be watching, though.. because this situation has me curious, too!