Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone
9949505

2002 Subaru Forester: started making..the ball bearings

I have a 2002 Subaru Forester, 5 speed. A few months ago it started making a weird sound, brought it in. It ended up being the ball bearings in the transmission. Well just last week it started making the same sound. What would be causing the ball bearings to go like that? Is it worth getting fixed again?
This problem is well known among tire shops.
You have a viscous coupling locking up and causing problems in thetransmission.
This is locking viscous is restricting the front axles from turning properly, producing this noise.
Changing the fluid will not help the problem, the viscous coupling is a sealed unit. The viscous coupling is located in the center differential. Subaru only sells the center differential assembly and that is the only way to get the viscous coupling.

The worst thing about it
:: Check the tires to see if there are some mismatched tires on the car, like one new one and the rest old.
These cars need to have the same tires or tread depth all the way around. We sell tires all the time at Firestone, and so many Subaru (second or third) owners were mis informed on this issue. It's the worst part in my opinion because it could of been avoided if someone shared the info with you about the tires. If there are mismatched tires, it's possible to hold the place that put the tires on for you, but I can't predict an outcome. If it were my shop my disctrict would make me eat it.
Good luck