Darren, ASE Master Tech. With L1
Experience:  over 20 Years experience as tech Currently teaching auto repair Ford certified and Nissan Certified

2001 GMC Safari: AWD...electrical system to the brake lines..heated

2001 GMC Safari AWD. Have a short in electrical system to the brake lines. Brake lines heated catching the tiedown grommets on fire. Any guesses where this short might be. I disconnected battery. Only takes a few seconds for lines to heat up again if battery is reconnected

Hello musichffield,

I am guessing the vehicle is equiped with ABS. If so disconnect the ABS unit and carefully try hooking the battery up again. I am betting the ABS unit is shorting out. I hope this help. If you have anymore questions please email us again. Thank you

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Disconnected ABS at 60AMP fuse box. Still shorted. It was a good try. Thank u

can you try to unplug the ABS unit? You may be getting power to the unit from more then one spot. Also have you had anyother work done to the van? Could somebody moved a harness or have it pinched against the brake lines. And also unplug the brake fluid level sensor at the mastercylinder. If you have anymore questions please email us again. Thanks.