supertech, mastertech
Experience:  ase master auto tech,triple chrys master tech,42 yr experinece,adv. level spec. ASE. HEV chrys spec.

I have a 2000 Hyundai Accent hatchback:

I believe that it to be a 1.6 liter.
5 speed manual
39K miles
starts fine
runs fine

Item 1:
It used to accelerate when cold perfectly. Now, I have to let it warm up for about two minutes or it stutters and dies. Absolutely no power until it idles for a few minutes.

Item 2:
When running and I shift the engine actually increases its revs for about 5 to 7 seconds and then drops. I am used to depressing the clutch and having the engine immediately drop in RPM. Now, when shifting it actually increases in RPM and I have taken my foot off the gas.

Item 3:
Major loss of power when accelerating. I know this is not a race car but I can feel the engine get to a certain RPM range and then the power band goes flat. I can still do 70 on the free way but going form 1st to 2nd there is a flat spot. Going from 3rd to 4th there is a flat spot under acceleration. The car used to have a smooth and continuous curve until max RPM, now, I get to about ½ max RPM and the power curve flattens out. The engine seems to stutter and shake. I can hear a “gasping” noise during the stutter period.

These three issues did not just appear they seems to have gradually came into being and at the same time. The problems are not getting worse.

I changed plugs and air filter. Didn’t do any good.
Category: Car
Expert:  supertech replied 8 years ago.

Hi my name is John.

One number one you might just need the computer flash with new solfware.

on number two it could be the Throttle postion sensor can cause this.

I would replace the fuel filter and test the fuel pressure.

On top of the fuel tank beside the fuel pump. Accessible by removing the rear seat and detaching the inspection panel of the fuel pump.

Hope this will help you.

let me know if you need more.

Please push the accept button when were done.

Thank you for choosing just answer.