OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic

1998 Subaru Legacy Outback: the plastic housing that..brake light

Hello. I need to replace the "combination light" on my 1998 Subaru Legacy Outback Wagon. The "combination light" is the plastic housing that holds the rear brake light and turn signal. When I search online, I can't seem to find the part. (I found a turn signal, but the picture didn't match the part on my car.) Also, I wonder if you can advise me where to buy the bulb. Finally, do you know a safe and easy place to order parts like this that are salvaged, rather than new? Thanks so much for any advise you might have.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Is this the part you are talking about?
The image “” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, that looks like it! I have some damage on both sides, but I really need to replace the passenger side.
Thank you.

The reason you have not been able to find this is because this is called a Tail Light. I would suggest that you check ebay. You will find plenty at a good price (see links below). These are $40 new from ebay (link 2&3). The bulbs you can find in most parts stores. You can go to Autozone and they will have it.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Great! Now I'm embarrassed. I had looked on eBay but hadn't found it. One clarification: Do you know how I can install this? Or, better yet, do you know of a web site where I can read about installation techniques for various problems in my car? Thanks!

The only thing that i cank think of is a Forum where you can talk with others who have the same car...

And this one
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Okay, thanks. Any chance you might know how to install this item? I looked and it's not intuitive how to remove it.
I don't quite recall but I think it's like this:

Open the trunk and pull back the black carpet. You will either see 3 bolts or 3 plastic flys that serve as bolts (stilled turned counter clockwise). Unbolt and pull out.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for your help. Have a great evening. -Danny