Joe, Technician
Experience:  27 years import and domestic auto repair.

1994 Pontiac Sunbird: Ive been told that the water pump..timing cover

Can an average "backyard" mechanic change a water pump on a 1994 Pontiac Sunbird? I've been told that the water pump is located inside of the timing cover. I don't want to disturb the timing!

HelloCustomer If your sunbird is a 2.0 liter, then the timing belt has to be removed to change the water pump. The water pump actually acts as the timing belt tensioner on this car. The labor guide calls for 3.2 hours, and this is for a fully equipped shop with experienced mechanics.

Although it is possible to replace this water pump at home, it is a fairly complex job and would probably be best to have someone do it who is comfortable dealing with the timing belt.