Toyotatech, Toyota Master Technician
Experience:  19 years experience, ASE Master Tech, Toyota Hybrid Technology Certified
A new question is answered every 9 seconds, especially with the steering wheel and indicators

Customer Question

I bought a used car from a dealer, as approved car with 6 months warranty. For the last three months there was always something wrong with it, especially with the steering wheel and indicators. They tried to fix it, but it didn't last long. I think this car is not safe to drive. Do I have a right to return it and have my money back?????
Category: Car
Expert:  Toyotatech replied 8 years ago.
I can't say what your recourse is as pertains to the contract that you signed with the car dealer but I do know that as long as they are making every effort to repair your car, they are allowed to continue to try and fix it. If you believe the car to be unsafe to drive, you have the right to refuse to take the car back until it is fixed properly. In New York state here is a "lemon law" that gives the dealer 3 repair attempts to fix the car or a maximum of 30 repair days to fix the car or they have to buy it back. I don't know the laws governing where you are from but I have found that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Stay on top of this and don't let the dealer breathe until the car is fixed to your satisfaction. Be assured that you always have recourse as the consumer and don't let them tell you otherwise.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Do I have right to demand a temporary car just to get to work while this one is in the garage?