david
david, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines

1996 saturn sl transmission bucks,and obd2 codes are p0733,p0734

1996 saturn sl transmission bucks,and obd2 codes are p0733,p0734 gear 3 ratio incorrect, gear 4 incorrect...i changed the vs-sensor,trans fluid, and filter im leaning toward changing the overdrive sensor..is this correct?
Category: Car
Expert:  david replied 5 years ago.

H thank you for your question hope this helps.

The transmission control module also known as Power train Control Module (PCM)

needs to be replaced.

The PCM is located in the upper dashboard area, in back of the instrument cluster assembly. The PCM utilizes signals from a variety of sensors to optimize control of the engine, trans axle and various accessories. The PCM is a microprocessor-based computer that is the main component of the power train control system. The PCM contains either one or two separate controllers located in one unit. The manual trans axle version contains only an engine controller, while the automatic trans axle version contains both an engine and trans axle controller.

The PCM contains an Electronically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory (EEPROM), which stores information necessary for proper vehicle operation. Whenever the PCM is replaced, this memory must be reprogrammed in order for the vehicle to operate. The vehicle may not even start if this is not done. Only a dealer/service station equipped with the Saturn Service Stall System, or an equivalent EEPROM reprogramming computer, will be able to properly calibrate the PCM.

It is fairly easy to do hear is the steps to replace.

• Disable the driver side SIR system as follows:
    1. Align the steering wheel so the tires are in the straight-ahead position, then turn the ignition to the OFF or LOCK position and remove the key.
    2. Remove the SIR fuse from the Instrument Panel Junction Block (IPJB).
    3. Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) device, then detach the yellow 2-way SIR connector at the base of the steering column.
  • Disable the passenger side SIR system as follows:
    1. Using a small, flat bladed screwdriver, pry off the upper instrument panel pad screw caps. Remove the trim panel retaining screws.
    2. Disengage the rear trim panel clips by lifting up. Then, disengage the front trim panel clips by lifting up at each outer corner and pulling rearward. Be careful not to damage the trim panel during its removal from the vehicle.
    3. Remove the upper trim panel insulator.
    4. Remove the CPA device, then detach the yellow 2-way SIR connector on the pigtail from the passenger side air bag module.
  • Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  • Unplug the PCM electrical connector from below the instrument panel.
  • Remove the PCM mounting screws at the cross-car beam and lift upward, towards the windshield, to disengage it from the mounting bracket.

To install:

• Lower the PCM unit into the mounting bracket. Be sure to guide the attaching stud into the slot in the cross-car beam.
  • Install and tighten the mounting nut to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm).
  • Install the PCM connectors.
  • Connect the negative battery cable.
  • Enable the driver side SIR system:
    1. Verify that the ignition switch is in the OFF or LOCK position, then attach the SIR electrical connector at the base of the steering column. Install the CPA device to the connector.
  • Enable the passenger side SIR system:
    1. Install the insulator and upper trim panel assembly. Be sure that all flaps are tucked and clips engaged. Install and tighten the retaining screws to 20 inch lbs. (2.3 Nm). Install the trim panel screw caps.
    2. Connect the yellow 2-way inflater module pigtail and install the CPA device to the connector.
  • Install the SIR fuse to the IPJB and install the junction block cover.
  • Turn the ignition ON and verify that the AIR BAG indicator lamp flashes 7-9 times, then extinguishes. If the light does not flash as indicated, inspect the system for malfunction.
  •  

Fig. 1: Power train control module mounting

Hope this helps

david, Auto Service Technician
    Experience: Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines