jwtruck76
jwtruck76, Technician
Experience:  17 Years Experience Auto/Heavy Truck Repair
11929435

99 volvo S70 glt: 000 mi..first the speedometer/odometer..stop working

99 volvo S70 glt 2435cc 80,000 mi. Daughters cummuter car for college. Recently, and suddenly at first the speedometer/odometer would intermittantly stop working. Soon, on the dash, the arrow pointing up began flashing. She says it is the overdrive arrow. I have no book yet, and the check eng light came on as well as the ABS, and traction control lights, and the transmission began slipping only from a standing start. This is all in a one week period. All fluid levels are good and fluids look good. Could these be related problems, and what can I check/replace/try to remedy? I have extensive mechanical experience, but not with computerized systems.
Category: Car
Expert:  jwtruck76 replied 8 years ago.

All of these problems are linked to the TCM (Transmission Control Module). You will have to have a scan tool connected to verify.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for the info. I'd be inclined to just replace the TCM, if it's not a major project and hope for the best, XXXXX XXXXX a scan tool. Would you think this is a pretty safe bet and is it major surgery?
Expert:  jwtruck76 replied 8 years ago.
No, it's a fairly simple process. There should be two wiring harnesses and one nut attaching the TCM to a mounting bracket. The one real downside is the confined space you have to work in. To save yourself some money, you can purchase a used BCM from your local salvage yard. In the unlikely event this is not the problem, you can return the part (an option you do not have with a new one).
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm told (still haven't located even a Chiltons manual) that it located in the rt front eng compartment in that mysterious black box with the cooling hose. I've located one from a wreck on ebay for $75. They go for about $400 new. Q: Can I unhook and look at the contacts, before buying the part, without causing some problem with a computer? What would be the procedure to replace? Just unhook and replace? Thanks
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm told (still haven't located a repair manual) that it is located in the rt front eng compartment in the black box with the cooling air hose. I've located one from a wreck on ebay for $75. They are about $400 new. Q: Is there a special procedure to unhook, replace this part, being as it sends signals to a computer, or is it a simple unhook, rehook thing? Thanks for your help.
Expert:  jwtruck76 replied 8 years ago.

Sorry it took me so long, had a computer meltdown. Let me see if I can get an exact location. If you have located it, you can simply unhook and rehook. Just make sure you disconnect the negative battery cable first and reconnect after.