importdoctor, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified, 10+ years experience

2000 acura: rhyme..week or more, and then suddenly the alarm goes off

I have a 2000 Acura 3.5 RL which has recently been false alarming. Seems to be no rhyme or reason, no one has touched the car. Sometimes it will sit for a week or more, and then suddenly the alarm goes off. One night it did it twice in a 4 hour period, then went a month without a problem. This also seems to be independent of weather conditions. , no rain or wind, car parked for hours or dyas at a time beore alams falses. Any suggestions on where I sould start looking?
Category: Car
Expert:  importdoctor replied 8 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using just answer. False alarms can be caused by a variety of issues. You covered most of the common issues already (weather/temperature/etc)..... THe one thing that I would recommend is that the next time the alarm goes off you don't shut it off right away, instead go out to the car and see if the interior dome lamp or the door ajar indicator is on. If you have a door/trunk/hood switch that is slightly out of adjustment from normal use or from previous body repair then it can act up at times for no reason. If the vehicle has ever had any body repair then the area of repair would be my first area of suspect.