OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic

Hyundai Accent: I have a 1999 4 driving..MPH

I have a 1999 4 cyl. Hyundai Accent. I am presently getting 26 MPG doing city driving (if I drive very carefully) and 23 MPH (if I drive regularly). I get 23 MPG doing highway driving. Is this normal. It there anything I can do to improve my Mileage. My car has 124,00 miles on it. It is a 5 speed straight stick. Would changing the 02 sensor help? I put new spark plugs in it and it didn't seem to make any difference. I am puzzled.
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

Typically speaking that is the amount of MPG that you will see with that car , mileage and age. You can do a good tune up (oil filter, fuel cleaner , fuel filter, plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, and so on.) Changing Oxygen sensor may help, however it really depends on how badly they are worn. If the oxygen sensors are worn badly then it will improve the MPG.

Also consider getting a K&N air filter which will also help.