CTCARTECH
CTCARTECH, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Ford Factory Trained, Kia Factory Trained, ASE Certified
9926638

kia: Check engine light was on.

Check engine light was on.. took to kia dealership.. said cat convertor bad and needs to be replaced $1000 plus... did not have cash.. have been driving.. no problems.. check engine light has not come back on... My question is why has the check engine light not come back on? If the convertor is bad wouldn't it stay on?
Category: Car
Expert:  CTCARTECH replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomerand Thank you for choosing Just Answer. I will try and answer your question in a timely manor and be sure you are 100% satisfied.

The covertor is most likely bad and the Check engine light will come back on. It is just a matter of time. But the light may also have come on just from electrical interference in the car and popped teh light on and there may be no problem. I have noticed with the Kia's that it may take a while for the ligtht to come back on. If you have to put the car through emmisions soon it may not pass. My suggestion is this, If you have no driveability problems with the car, Keep driving it. You really can't hurt the car more than it already is. If the light never comes back on. Then you got lucky.