William B
William B, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Associate Degree Automotive Technology, Master ASE, Master BMW, Master Mazda, 30+ years experience

I have a Mazda 6 and when I press down on my clutch it goes

Customer Question

I have a Mazda 6 and when I press down on my clutch it goes to the floor and stays there.
Category: Car
Expert:  William B replied 8 years ago.
Hey tony, keys thanks for the question,

Not sure how many miles you have on the car, and assuming the clutch hard parts like the clutch disc and pressure plate are all ok, then a hydraulic failure in the hydraulic system is most likely.

If the hydraulic clutch on your Mazda has fluid but the pedal still stays down there might be a problem with the master cylinder. The internal seals inside the master cylinder may have failed.

This is true especially if the clutch does not work, meaning you cannot get transimission into gear with the engine running. You can try pushing the clutch pedal down and then pulling it back up by hand (or foot) several times to see if you are able to "pump up" the clutch slave cylinder and see if that works, but more than likely the clutch master cylinder has failed.

The professional labor time to replace the master cylinder is about an hour, but can be messy when dealing with the brake fluid used in the clutch hydraulic system and to install master cylinder would also require the bleeding of the system, so getting car safely up into the air to gain access to the slave cylinder is also a challenge. Price of new clutch master cylinder should be in $30 to $60 range depending on your location.

Hope this helps, click "accept" for payment. Let me know if you have any other questions. All bonuses and feedback appreciated!