GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

99 chev 1 ton with hydroboost, i have no power steering and no brakes

i have a 99 chev 1 ton with hydroboost, i have no power steering and no brakes .i replaced the pump and that fixed it, but now it comes and goes out every once in a while. there is a pigtail that goes to a valve on the back of the pump. the pump did not come with new valve
Category: Car
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 8 years ago.
WelcomeCustomer When you changed out the pump, you should have removed the valve and installed it onto the new pump. To swap it you unscrew the base of the valve and remove it along with the fitting. You can unscrew the fitting on the new pump and swap out the valve. The spring and spool valve at there and you will need to make sure they don't fall out.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i did that and it fixed the problem but now my power steering and brakes go out for a short time then come back
Ok. I will assume you have checked the fluid level and it is ok, so I think you either had something go wrong with the spool valve and spring, or you have a faulty pump.
I had another expert mention the fluid type. Did you use the proper fluid during the repair?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
what and where is the spool valve?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
i used generic ps fluid, what should i use?
As long as you used power steering fluid that meets GM spec, then it is ok. The spool valve is for the pressure and is located behind the fitting you had to change. however if the steering is coming and going, I think it is either air in the system or bad pump.