John, Master Automotive Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 & L1 Master GM Tech 40 years experience

1996 Oldsmobile bravada: tires, alignment, hoses/belts

Customer Question

1996 Oldsmobile bravada. Headlights flashing on and off. Car acquired recently for my son, it had new tires, alignment, hoses/belts changed and alarm/remote start installed. Uses gps and radar dector. Replaced alternator -- but as he was driving from NY to Maine, the headlights started to flash and he was pulled over by a cop and had to be towed to his destination. HELP
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.

If this is a flashing in rhythm(like turn signals) this is associated with the theft deterrent system.This problem can be a wiring problem or computer problem.The first step should be scanning the onboard computers(powertrain & body) for failure codes.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We had this problem before we installed the romote/alarm system, but the alarm technican is willing to take a look at the wiring. Unfortrunately we have to get the car back from Maine.
Expert:  John replied 8 years ago.
Ok,I would start with a scan ,check headlamp wiring, & systems grounds.