Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone

Voyager: the gauge cluster operating..instruments..right direction

My 1997 Plymouth Voyager suffers from the gauge cluster operating speradically. you never know when you turn the key whether or not you will have instruments, however sometimes if it is warm enoughthe gauges will operate fine. Can you point me in the right direction as to what to check?
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for choosing JA

When the problem is occurring, perform the Instrument Cluster self test. Begin with the ignition key switch in the off position. Press and hold in the Odometer Trip and Reset buttons. Turn the key to the On position. Wait until the word CODE appears in the Odometer window, then release the buttons. A normal self test will step through turning all of the indicator lights on and off and sweeping all of the gauge needles. If this does not happen, the test has failed. If the self test fails, check the Power, Ground and Bus wires at the 13 cavity connector behind the Cluster with the key on. There should be 12 volts on the Pink wire at cavity 2 and the Red/White Wire at cavity 11. There should be good ground available on the Black/Light Green wire at cavity 7 and the Black wire at cavity 13. The White/Black wire at cavity 9 and the Violet/Brown wire at cavity 10 are both Bus wires. Each of them should have approximately 2.5 volts. If these all check OK, replace the Instrument Cluster Circuit Board. NOTE: After replacing the Circuit Board, the gauges will require recalibration using the DRB III factory scan tool. At the time of this writing no aftermarket scanner is known to be able to perform the gauge recalibration.
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone