Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs exp. Electrical; Driveabilty; Undercar; Airconditioning. Domestic and Foreign.
9480930

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix: cylinder..the rear of the housing

Customer Question

2006 Pontiac Grand Prix, 6 cylinder. How do you change the headlight bulb? Can you access the socket from the rear of the housing? Can you access it through the front lens?
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer,

There is a retainer that is lifted then the entire assembly is removed, then the bulb sockets removed from the rear once out. DO NOT turn screw labeled (2) below this is the adjustment for the headlamp aiming.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Raise the hood.
  • Lift upward on the headlamp retainer (1).
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Pull the headlamp assembly outward enough to release the headlamp assembly from the upper fascia support.
  • Position the headlamp assembly away from the vehicle body to access the electrical connector.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Disconnect the electrical connector from the headlamp assembly.
  • Remove the headlamp assembly from the vehicle.

Caution: Refer to Halogen Bulb Caution in the Preface section.

• Remove the headlamp bulb/socket from the headlamp, by turning counterclockwise.
  • Remove the headlamp bulb/socket from the headlamp assembly.
  • Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
    Experience: 20 yrs exp. Electrical; Driveabilty; Undercar; Airconditioning. Domestic and Foreign.
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I saved the pictures and the directions. I'll be going out to check it momentarily. Thank you very much Scott. Can I check back with you if I run into any problems?

Customer/p>
    Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

Sure, Just reply back

Scott

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Scott there is no tab on the headlight. Is number 2 the allen head screw?
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Scott there is no clip. Is number 2 the allen head screw?

Customer/p>
    Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

Do you have a digital camera where you could take a picture of the top of the headlamp and post it here?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Yes. I could take a picture. It looks just like diagram one that you sent me except it doesn't have a clip.
    Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

I am not trying to insult you but I think it is there but you are not seeing it.

What is there in position (1) on the diagram?

A picture could help me guide you to it

If you could take one and use the posting tool on the tool bar above, it is the little tree above.

Save it to your computer and use the "tree" to browse and post it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    graphic
    Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

I think you are correct no TAB, the GM service manual only shows headlamp replacement with "GT".

Remove the bolt that attaches it to the radiator core support, not the allen but the regular bolt in the middle of the pic, and then proceed with the rest of the directions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

okay thanks Scott. Sorry about the hastle. You've been very patient with me. I'll take off the 10mm hex head and proceed. I'll check back with you if that's okay. The production date is 01/2006.

Customer/p>
    Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

It was hard to see in picture at first but is this a metal tab

graphic

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Thanks Scott. I got it off. After all that They gave me the wrong bulbs. Thank you for your patience. Have a good holiday.
    Expert:  Scott K replied 6 years ago.

oh boy,

Glad you got it

Scott