Msgtperrin, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified

2005 cts: rod..side of the valve cover when I rev the motor..50k miles

I have a 2005 CTS 3.6L and it sounds like I broke a rod, I can hear and feel something loose on the side of the valve cover when I rev the motor. what cause this? and is it costly to repair? I have just over 50K miles.. Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Msgtperrin replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for using JA,

If it feels like a rod that broke then yes that is a very costly repair. It might be just a broken valve spring. If you feel it around the valve cover then it might be this. If it is then it would be let expensive. What could cause this could be a few different things. First is the lack of oil. Sometimes something may restrict oil flow and this might cause it. Second could be just wear and tear over time. I realize you dont have many miles but I have seen parts do bad like this before. You could remove the valve cover and take a look and this would give you come idea. Please let me know what you find and good luck

Thanks msgtperrin