MCVGreg
MCVGreg, Master Troubleshooter
Experience:  25 + Years Working with Cars & Electronic Control Systems
5229702

2005 Saturn: Relay..van..the owners manual but the headlight assembly

Customer Question

Sir/Ma'am: How do you remove the headlight assembly from a 2005 Saturn Relay van? I have followed the instructions from the owner's manual but the headlight assembly is still unable to be removed. It seems to be caught up by something at the bottom of the headlight assembly. FYI, I am trying to get to the turn signal area below the headlight assembly to replace the turn signal light bulb. Thank you for your time and assistance.
Category: Car
Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

Here is what the manual says:

graphic

Headlamp Replacement

1

Pin, Headlamp Mounting Panel (Qty: 2)

2

Bolt, Headlamp Mounting Panel (Qty: 2)

Tighten 12 N·m (106 lb in)

3

Headlamp Assembly (Qty: 2)

Tip

1. Pull the headlamp forward to disengage the ball and socket attachment at the rear of the headlamp.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connector.
  3. Remove and replace the bulbs if necessary.
  4. Remove and replace the headlamp wiring harness if necessary.

I will see if I can find some other instructions, if you need them.

Please let me know if this helps, and feel no pressure to accept this answer if it does not.

Take Care, Greg A.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sir,

How much force do I need to assert to pull the headlight assembly away from the ball and socket attachment? I have pulled/tugged on it pretty hard and am afraid that I will brake something at this point. I called the folks at Saturn and they want to charge me $47 to do the job which I think is insane. I bought the turn signal light bulb at NAPA for only $5 and I know I can do this whole procedure but I don't want to break the headlight assembly.

Would the headlight assembly "pop out" or "fly out" on this procedure? I am hoping to find out how much force to use.

Thank you once again for your continued assistance.

Very respectfully,

Kim

Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Hi Kim,

It can take a pretty good amount of force to get these things loose. Remember that they have to be held pretty tight so that the headlight alignment (aim) doesn't jump all over the place.

Let me see if I can find some other drawings that will show the connections so that you will have an idea of what you are dealing with.

Thanks, XXXXX

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sir,

I will absolutely pay you the money. Can I wait till tomorrow am after I either try again and/or get the other drawing(s) from you? If you want me to pay now, I'll trust that you will reply to my XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX e-mail account. The only reason I am asking is that it's, as you know, late and I need to get some sleep. Let me know how you would get me the "more information" and I'll pay you now if that's the way you'd like. I, honestly, will pay you which ever way it turns out to be.

As you can tell, it's my first time here at this website so I do not know know exactly how things work. I thank you for your patience with my questions that may seems silly to you.

Thank you.

Very respectfully,

Kim

Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Hi again,

Please feel no pressure to pay now. If something doesn't work, I would not want you to have to pay at all. I can wait. I am having a little trouble finding another drawing/picture anyway, so I can wait until the job is done, regardless of how long it takes.

And as I almost always say:

"The only silly question is the one that you have, but don't ask."

Have a good night, Greg A.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sir,

Thank you for your understanding. I will try again tomorrow am after checking my e-mail to see if you, by chance, will send an updated e-mail to me. Thank you for allowing me to try the procedure again and I will be in touch with you tomorrow morning.

Once again, I promise, I will pay you once I am able to successfully remove this darn headlight assembly.

Till tomorrow morning....Good night.

Very respectfully,

Kim

Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Hi Kim,

I could only find one other drawing, which is below. I have also include the instructions for changing the bulbs, which should match what you have in the manual. I just wanted to make sure we were looking at the same procedure.

This is a PDF file that you should be able to view on your computer and print, if needed.

graphic

Replace Headlight Bulbs

Please let me know how it goes.

Take Care, Greg A.

MCVGreg, Master Troubleshooter
Experience: 25 + Years Working with Cars & Electronic Control Systems
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sir,

I have been partially sucessful in pulling the headlight assembly away the housing area. I was able to pull one side of it away which left me just enough space to put my arm down to the side blinker housing to be able for me to replace the one burnt out light bulb.

I am now happy even though I still have not been able to completely pull away the headlight assembly from it's housing area.

Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Did the replacement bulb do the trick (does it work properly)?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sir,

Yes, the replacement turn signal lightbulb works properly :) I Thank You Very Much for your time, patience, support and assistance :) I have accepted your answer already (in my last correspondence) so I'm replying to this e-mail. Please let me know if you have not/did not "get paid", ok :)

Very respectfully,

Kim

Expert:  MCVGreg replied 6 years ago.

Hi Kim,

Accept was received - Thank You!

Good job in getting the task accomplished!

Please let us know if you have questions in the future.

Take Care, Greg A.