Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service Manager for Bridgstone/ Firestone

2001 Kia: Owners Manual..Automatic tramission holds 7.2qts..I drained

Customer Question

I just bought a 2001 Kia/Sportage has 82500 miles. On back of Owners Manual it says Automatic Tramission holds 7.2qts. I drained and reintalled 6qts. And it is way over full. Inside the book it says it holds about 2.7qts. Which is right? I think it is printed backwards. I am going to get the timeing belt and water pump replaced next week. Is this about the right mileage to do this? Is this a good or bad SUV/ It is 4wd. Thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim West replied 8 years ago.
Automatic Transmission holds 7.2 quarts

Manual transmission holds 1.2 quarts

A vehicle almost to 90k 7 years old. This is a perfect time to replace the timing belt. Do not always go by mileage recommendations on when tao service the vehicle. Heat and time have a big impact the vehicle. Never over look or underestimate time and heat.
Hyundai's are good cars. They have a big factory warranty and will last if maintained.
I say if maintained because parts aren't the cheapest and locating them isn't always the easiest. I have learned with these vehicles, the best way to make sure you will get the most life out of it: Keep fuel system clean, change oil. follow maintenance routines.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
This is a Kia/ sportage, Not a Hyundai. When I put 7.2 qts of fluid in it, it is 5inches over the full mark on the dip stick. Something is not right. I think it is printed wrong in the specifactions on back of owners manual !
Expert:  Tim West replied 8 years ago.

2001 kia sportage

Where did you drain the fluid from?

A/T Fluid according to identifix 7.1q (6.7 L)
Manual 1.3q (1.2L)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Drained from tran pan. Had the timming belt, water pump, belts, several other things done today.
Expert:  Tim West replied 8 years ago.
How much ATF drained from the Trans Pan?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
About 4qts, but it was way over full. About 6inches about the full mark. I have drained it down. Hope fully it is OK. And no damage to the Tran.
Expert:  Tim West replied 8 years ago.
Thanks how did it end up?