Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, Assistant Service Manager
Experience:  Tires Plus
10675526

2002 Lexus LS430: tilt..the steering wheel..adjustment..manually

I have a 2002 Lexus LS430 that has the tilt and telescopic feature on the steering wheel.   It would always adjust the steering wheel up out of the way when the key turned off and also had a manual adjustment on the side of the steering columm.   The telescopic part still works but the tilt will no longer work, either when the key is turned off or when attempting manually to adjust.   Any suggestions please?

Thanks for using Just Answer. I would be glad to assist you.

There is either a problem in the tilt circuit or the steering ECU. Please refer to the diagnostic information below:

graphic

Component Locations:

graphic

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

The ECU provided both +B and ground for the tilt motor. Reserving polarity of the applied voltage reverses the motor.

graphic

Inspection Procedure:

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Do you have a diagram that shows me how to remove.replace the tilt motor please?

Thanks,

[email protected]

Here is the steering column removal procedure. The tilt motor will disconnect from the top of the steering column once the steering wheel is removed. Follow the steps below:

graphic

graphic

1. PRECAUTION
    • Care must be taken to replace parts properly because they could affect the performance of the steering system and result in a driving hazard.
    • The LEXUS LS430 is equipped with Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) such as the driver airbag and front passenger airbag. Failure to carry out service operation in the correct sequence could cause the SRS to unexpectedly deploy during servicing, possibly leading to a serious accident. Before servicing (including removal or installation of parts, inspection or replacement), be sure to read the precautionary notices in Restraint Systems.
  1. DISCONNECT BATTERY NEGATIVE TERMINAL
    1. REMOVE STEERING WHEEL PAD NOTICE: If the airbag connector is disconnected with the ignition switch at ON, DTCs will be recorded.
      1. Place the front wheels facing straight ahead.
      2. Remove the steering wheel lower No. 2 cover and pad switch modulator cover.
      3. Using a torx driver, loosen the 2 torx screws until the groove along the screw circumference catches on the screw case.
      4. Disconnect the connector.
      5. Pull out the wheel pad from the steering wheel.
      6. Using a screwdriver, disconnect the airbag connectors as shown in the illustration. CAUTION:
      • When storing the wheel pad, keep the upper surface of the pad facing upward.
      • Never disassemble the wheel pad.

NOTICE: When removing the wheel pad, take care not to pull the airbag wire harness.graphic

2.  

1. REMOVE STEERING WHEEL
      1. Disconnect the connectors.
      2. Remove the steering wheel set nut.
      3. Place matchmarks on the steering wheel and main shaft assembly.
      4. Using SST, remove the steering wheel. SST 09950-50013 (09951-05010, 09952-05010, 09950-05020, 09954-05021)
    1. REMOVE NO. 1 UNDER COVER
      1. Remove the 2 screws and disconnect the No. 1 under cover.
      2. Disconnect the 2 connectors, DLC3 and remove the No. 1 under cover.
    1. REMOVE FINISH PLATE
    2. REMOVE NO. 1 SAFETY PAD
      1. Remove the 2 screws and disconnect the engine hood release lever.
      2. Remove the 2 bolts and disconnect the No. 1 safety pad.
      3. Disconnect the connectors, clamps and remove the No. 1 safety pad.
    1. REMOVE COLUMN LOWER COVER Remove the 3 screws and column lower cover.
    2. REMOVE NO. 5 HEATER TO REGISTER DUCT Remove the clip and No. 5 heater to register duct.
    3. w/Smart key system: DISCONNECT STEERING LOCK SWITCH AND ACTUATOR
      1. Disconnect the connectors.
      2. Remove the 3 bolts and disconnect the steering lock switch and actuator.
    1. REMOVE AIR SEALED PLATE
  3.  

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for all the help!
You're very welcome. I hope you have your issue solved. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.