Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

Two problems: First, my car is hesitant to start in the mornings..dies

Two problems: First, my car is hesitant to start in the mornings. I turn it on and it dies. I have to do that a dozen times before I can drive. After that, it is pretty much okay. Feels like it is not getting fuel. The engine light was on so I took it to autozone. Possibilities were Mass Air Flow or O2 sensor. I cleaned the MAF and it worked for a couple of day, but it is doing the same thing.    Second, my stupid blinkers are not working. They work when it is over 95 degrees or so, but anything below that they don't work. And it constantly makes the blinker noise even though I do not have the blinkers on. I replaced that little box (I believe it is a fuse box) under the steering wheel, but that did not work. If you have any ideas, I would appreciate it. Thanks. KW
Hi there!What kind of vehicle is this?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry about that. It is a 2000 Expedition. It has the smaller of the 2 engines. Also, on my last request, it does not hesitate when you start it. It actually starts great. It is keeping it running. 1000RPMs and above, it is fine, but if you go below that, it wants to die. It is sluggish when driving for the first 5-10 mins. But after that and throughout the day, I hardly have problems with it. I hope you can help with those darn blinkers too. They are driving me crazy.
OK, Is the check engine light on now?Do you possibly remember the codes that were stored in it when you had it checked at autozone?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Check engine was on when I took it in. It had 2 codes (which I do not have anymore). It said that if both codes had problems, the top pick would be the MAF. I cleaned it out and the check engine light went off. It worked fine for a couple of days (no problems running) and now it started again, but the check engine light never came on. I guess I can go to autozone again. Anyway, the second option was the O2 sensor. Sorry I don't have more info for you.
That's ok.Here is what I am thinking might be the problem with the idle,it could be the IAC control motor not working properly.If it can't make the adjustment you will have a problem with the idle.If the light is back on,go ahead and have it scanned,if not there is no need at this point.If the codes were P0171 and P0174 they are usually a good sign of a mass air flow sensor problem.They read like an O2 problem but when they are on at the same time it is for both banks and it is normally the mass air.If you just had one or the other then it is more likley a problem with the O2 sensor.
Now,the turn signals.I can't really help with those.I do not have a wiring diagram.If I had to take a shot I would think it could be the combo switch is shorted out.It is supplying power to the flasher module causing the noise.Hope some of this helps!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Those were the codes!! You're good. That answers that question. Thanks.

Thanks for the accept!Sorry I'm not much use on the signals!!