Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.
10772012

How do you replace the fuel pump on a 1999 saab 9-3

Customer Question

how do you replace the fuel pump on a 1999 saab 9-3
Category: Car
Expert:  Ivan replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer you have to remove the fuel tank, then follow these instructions.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

WARNING
Removing the fuel pump involves partial dismantling of the car's fuel system. The following points must therefore be observed in connection with the work:

• Work only in a well-ventilated area! If approved equipment for the extraction of fuel vapours is available, be sure to use it.
  • Wear suitable gloves! Prolonged contact with fuel can cause skin irritation or dermatitis.
  • Keep a class BE fire extinguisher close at hand! Beware of sparks caused by short circuits and when connecting and disconnecting leads in electrical circuits.
  • No smoking anywhere in the vicinity.

Dismantling

1Remove the fuel tank.
2Remove the screw ring on top of the fuel pump. Use special tool no. 83 94 462.
3Lift the pump until the top of it is about 50 mm above the fuel tank. Then, turn it about 80 degrees and carefully remove the pump.

To fit

1Fit a new O-ring in the groove in the tank. Apply a thin layer of vaseline, part no. 30 06 665, or equivalent.
2Carefully insert the pump in its correct position. Make sure the index marks on the tank and the fuel pump are aligned correctly.
3Fit the screw ring.

Tightening torque: 75 Nm (55 lbf ft)

IMPORTANT
Inspect the fuel line O-rings and replace as necessary.

4Fit the tank.

Here is the removal instructions for the fuel tank

1Drain the fuel from the tank.

Important
The tank must never be drained by suction through the filler pipe as this will damage the non-return valve!

2Raise the car, making sure that the right-hand lift arm is situated as far to the right as possible so as not to be an obstruction during removal.
3Detach the hose to the filler pipe from the tank and the purge line from the tank to the EVAP canister. Plug the tank.
4Detach the quick-release coupling on the purge line to the filler pipe using tool 83 95 261.
5Remove the protective cover from the fuel filter.
6Undo the clamp securing the fuel filter.
7Support the tank on a column lift, for example. Undo the nuts on the tank straps and unhook the straps.
8Move the handbrake wire for the left-hand wheel to one side.
9Carefully lower the tank, right-hand side first, until the top becomes visible.

10Unplug the connectors to the fuel pump and tank pressure sensor.
11Remove the protective cap and detach the pressure and return lines from the fuel pump.
12Detach the fuel lines from their retainers on the tank.
13Lower the tank further to working height.