Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

how do you change a timing belt on a 1999 ford escort zx2 with

Customer Question

how do you change a timing belt on a 1999 ford escort zx2 with a 2.0l dual overhead cam
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 5 years ago.
Hi there!Not sure if this will help.If it does please click accept.Thanks

DOHC ENGINE

See Figures 13 through 21

A camshaft alignment timing tool (No. T94P-6256-CH or equivalent) and a crankshaft Top Dead Center (TDC) timing peg tool (No. T97P-6000-A or equivalent) are required for this procedure.

Make sure the correct notch in the pulley is indexed to the lower cylinder block. Refer to the accompanying illustration.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 13: A camshaft alignment timing tool ...
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 14: ... and a crankshaft TDC timing peg tool are required when removing and installing the timing belt
  1. Remove the spark plugs.
  2. Rotate the crankshaft to TDC.
  3. Locate and remove the plug bolt by the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor (refer to the illustration) and install the TDC timing peg.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 15: Remove the plug bolt by the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor and install the TDC timing peg
  1. Raise the car and support it with safety stands.
  2. Unfasten the splash shields bolts and remove the shield.
  3. Lower the car and remove the water pump pulley.
  4. Remove the valve cover and the timing belt covers.
  5. Align the camshafts and install the camshaft alignment tool on the back of the camshafts as illustrated.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 16: Align the camshafts and install the alignment tool
WARNING
If the camshaft belt is being reused, mark the direction of the camshaft belt to the rotation of the camshaft prior to removal, or premature wear and belt failure could occur.
  1. Loosen the tensioner pulley bolt and relieve the tension on the belt by disconnecting the tensioner tab from the timing cover back plate.
  2. Slide the belt off the sprockets.
  3. Inspect the belt for wear and replace as necessary.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 17: Timing belt routing-2.0L DOHC engine
To install:
  1. If, for any reason, the engine was disturbed, the camshafts moved or the sprockets replaced, perform the following procedure:

Make sure the correct notch in the pulley is indexed to the lower cylinder block.

1. Position the crankshaft just prior to Top Dead Center (TDC).
  2. If not already done, locate and remove the plug bolt by the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor (refer to the illustration) and install the TDC timing peg.
  3. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise against the TDC peg.

Installation of the alignment tool into the exhaust camshaft may require the camshafts to be rotated clockwise.

1. Install the camshaft alignment tool on the back of the camshafts.
  2. Install the timing belt and engage the timing belt tensioner tab into the upper timing cover backplate.

A 3/8 inch drive, 10mm, 2 inch torque adapter offset is required to tighten the tensioner bolt.

1. Using a 6mm Allen wrench, adjust the tensioner until the index marks are aligned and tighten the bolt to 17-20 ft. lbs. (22-28 Nm).
  2. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise against the TDC alignment peg, then remove the camshaft alignment tool.
  3. Remove the TDC peg tool and install the plug bolt.
  4. Install the timing and valve covers.
  5. Install the water pump pulley and the splash shield.
  6. Install the spark plugs.

If the engine or the camshaft were not disturbed in any way, or the sprockets were not removed, perform the following procedure:

1. Install the timing belt and engage the timing belt tensioner tab into the upper timing cover backplate.
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 18: Engage the timing belt tensioner tab into the upper timing cover backplate ...
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 19: ... then use a 6mm Allen wrench to adjust the tensioner until the index marks are aligned
Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 20: A 3/8 inch drive, 10mm, 2 inch torque adapter offset is required to tighten the tensioner bolt (arrow)-2.0L DOHC engine

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 21: Rotate the crankshaft clockwise against the TDC alignment peg
  1. Remove the TDC peg tool and install the plug bolt.
  2. Install the timing and valve covers.
  3. Install the water pump pulley and the splash shield.
  4. Install the spark plugs.