GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2002 pontiac grand priw wont shift out of park

Customer Question

2002 pontiac grand priw won't shift out of park
Category: Car
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Welcome mrcromer. It sounds like you have a problem with the shift lock control. Would you like me to send you the diagnostics and schematics to diagnose this problem?
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes please send me info

Ok. Here is that info. Please ask if you need some assistance.

DEFINITION: Transmission shift lever does not move with the ignition ON and the brake pedal depressed.

1

Did you perform the Symptoms - Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control tests and all the necessary inspections?

Go to Step 2

Go to Symptoms - Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control

2

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Press and hold the brake pedal.
  3. Attempt to move the shift lever out of the PARK position.

Does the shift lever move out of the PARK position?

Go to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems

Go to Step 3

3

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
  2. Disconnect the automatic transmission shift lock control switch.
  3. Turn ON the ignition. with the engine OFF.
  4. Press and hold the brake pedal.
  5. Attempt to move the shift lever out of the PARK position.

Go to Step 9

Go to Step 4

4

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
  2. Disconnect the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid.
  4. Press and hold the brake pedal.

Go to Step 12

Go to Step 5

5

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
  2. Connect a test lamp between the off/run/crank voltage circuit of the park lock solenoid and a good ground.
  3. Turn ON the ignition , with the engine OFF.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

Go to Step 6

Go to Step 13

6

1. Turn OFF the ignition,
  2. Disconnect the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid assembly.
  3. Connect a test lamp between the park lock solenoid off/run/crank voltage circuit and the neutral safety switch signal circuit at the automatic transmission shift lock control assembly.
  4. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

Go to Step 10

Go to Step 7

7

Connect a test lamp between the neutral safety switch signal circuit at the park/neutral safety switch and battery positive voltage.

Does the test lamp illuminate?

Go to Step 14

Go to Step 8

8

Test for an open in the park/neutral safety switch ground circuit. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 18

Go to Step 11

9

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the automatic transmission shift lock control switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 18

Go to Step 15

10

Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid assembly. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 18

Go to Step 16

11

1. Inspect for proper park/neutral safety switch adjustment. Refer to Park/Neutral Position Switch Adjustment in Automatic Transmission.
  2. Inspect for poor connections at the harness connector of the park/neutral safety switch. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 18

Go to Step 17

12

Repair short to battery positive voltage in the A/T shift lock control solenoid supply voltage circuit. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 18

--

13

Repair the open in the off/run/crank voltage circuit of the park lock solenoid. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 18

--

14

Repair the open in the neutral safety switch signal circuit of the park lock solenoid. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs in Wiring Systems.

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 18

--

15

Replace the automatic transmission shift lock control switch. Refer to Stop Lamp Switch Replacement in Hydraulic Brakes.

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 18

--

16

Replace the automatic transmission shift lock control solenoid assembly. Refer to Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Actuator Replacement .

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 18

--

17

Replace the park/neutral safety switch. Refer to Park/Neutral Position Switch Replacement in Automatic Transmission.

Did you complete the repair?

Go to Step 18

--

18

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you find and correct the condition?

System OK

Go to Step 2

Object Number: 797711  Size: FS

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I try to follow the links I get an error saying that I am not authorized?
Sorry. the links won't work outside of GM. Tell which link you are after and I can send you the info.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I could also use some info/diagrams showing how to get to these items to test them

I would like to see the following links:
park/neutral safety switch adjustment.
Replace the park/neutral safety switch

You got it. Here they are. Please let me know if you need more.

1. Apply the parking brake.
  2. Block the wheels.
  3. Place the vehicle is the Neutral position.
  4. Remove the air cleaner intake duct.Object Number: 161161  Size: SH

5. Remove the automatic transaxle range selector cable from the PNP switch.
    Object Number: 161102  Size: SH

6. Disconnect the PNP switch electrical connectors.
  7. Remove the automatic transaxle range selector lever nut.
  8. Remove the automatic transaxle range selector lever.
    Object Number: 161074  Size: SH

9. Remove the PNP switch bolts.
  10. Remove the PNP switch.
  1. Place the shift shaft in the Neutral position.
    Object Number: 161074  Size: SH

2. Install the PNP switch to the mounting boss.

Important: If the PNP switch bolt holes do not align with the mounting boss on the transaxle, verify that the shaft is in the Neutral position.

3. Assemble the PNP switch mounting bolts loosely.
    Object Number: 161078  Size: SH

4. Use the J 41545 to align the flats of the shift shaft to the flats (1,2) on the PNP switch. You will not have access to the tolls, so all you need to do id this, On the part labeled (2), there are 2 sots. those 2 slots must line up with the groove labeled (1). I use a straight pick or something to give me a straight line.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

5. Install the PNP switch mounting bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the PNP switch mounting bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Is yours a floor shift or column shift?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
floor shift automatic

Ok. More info.

1. Apply the park brake.
  2. Position the transaxle selector in the low range.
  3. Raise the front floor console armrest.
  4. Remove the front floor console storage compartment.
    Object Number: 311763  Size: SH

5. Remove the mat from the storage compartment.
  6. Open the console cup holder.
    Object Number: 311768  Size: SH

7. Remove the console trim plate, starting at the rear and pulling up, working forward in order to release the retainers.
  8. Remove the console trim plate from the front floor console.
    Object Number: 311764  Size: SH

9. Disconnect the electrical connector from the driver's seat heater switch, if equipped.

Object Number: 190956  Size: SH

• Disconnect electrical connector from the Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Actuator.
    Object Number: 442716  Size: SH

• Remove both ends of the Automatic Transmission Shift Lock Control Actuator from pivot points (1).
  • Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    Thanks for all your help. Now I guess it is up to me.
    Please ask if you want or need more help of info. Good luck.