GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

What is covered under a powertrain warranty?

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:
-What year is your Chevy?
-What model is your Chevy?
-How many miles are on your Chevy?
-What type of engine is in your Chevy?
-What have you already tried?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is not a chevy. I bought a used Subaru with a 30 day power-train warranty from a Chevy dealer that has multiple problems, and I want to be prepared with information in case they try to tell me that nothing is covered.
I will opt out and send this ti Cars category where a Subaru tech can answer your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
But since I bought this at a Chevy dealer, I figure they will use their own warranty info, not Subaru's.
Sorry, I figured you had factory warranty. Is the plan a "GMPP' Plan?
True. The extent of the warranty USUALLY covers engine components. Some electronics and sensors may be covered. I cannot say for certain, only the service advisor or service manager at the dealership can answer for certain. I will say this, if you are taking it back to the dealer you bought it at, don't be afraid to lean on the salesman you were dealing with. I notice this happens here a lot and can help. Good luck.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How about "fuel sending units"? Catalytic converter? (and this car supposedly passed an emissions check) Oxygen sensors?
After being assured this car was newly PA inspected and emisson checked, I had these problems noted (among others, including ABS sensor needing work) My Subaru tech said it should not have passed these inspections, and some of the additional problems were powertrain issues. I know there are different definitions of powertrain, so I wanted to know about Chevy's definition when I speak to the Manager. I hope to just return this clunker, so any back-up would be helpful.
Forgive me, I missed the powertrain part. Again, some transmission and fuel parts may be covered. I believe the ABS will not. If the car has this many problems after just buying it and having the inspection done, I would talk to the dealer. This is far from honest business practices if this is all going wrong. I would also call GM and state that you bought this and all this has happened. I will say, the sooner the better. If you have accumulated a lot of mileage since, it might get harder. Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the answer. By the way this was all found within 400 miles of use!
WOW, was this an optimum used vehicle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I guess not. It is a 1999 Legacy wagon that I assume someone traded in. My old Subaru, which my son had been driving, was stolen in July. I assumed that it was safe to buy a used vehicle from a GM dealership without taking it to an additional mechanic first. And, the Sales Manager assured me they would never sell a car to me that would cause multiple expensive problems as I did voice that concern. So, either he was ignorant (and their mechanic is untrustworthy) or he was lying. Not a good way to build a reputation. As my son said, "The nightmare continues." Anyway, the Sales manager has to talk to the General Manager, who was on vacation last week. I told him that my first choice was to just return the car. I expect they're looking at it again, and will then talk to me about it. I'm waiting anxiously, and if I get a bad outcome, I plan to go further up the chain. Thanks for letting me vent.
I would raise a stink about this anyway. This should not happen. Possibly get the BBB involved. I can't stand it when customers are lied to and taken advantage of. No problem, the venting thing. We all need to vent. Please let me know about the outcome.
GM Tech (Cam), Auto Service Tech
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This is an update to the GM Tech who answered my questions in August and wanted to know the outcome of my situation with the unsafe Subaru I bought used at a GM dealership. After some hemming and hawing, and saying they would fix certain things, the dealership finally decided to give me my money back! Thanks for your input, and suggestion about mentioning the BBB (which I did). Even though I ended up losing some money , I'm sure I'm better off without that car.
I'm glad it was resolved. I don't like hearing about customers being lied to and ripped off. I can honestly say I am proud to work for the dealer I do because they bend over backwards to make it right with customers. Good luck.