Dan, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  GM ASEP A.A.S. 14 years GM experience. Mark of Excellence and Professional Guild awarded.
4976144

Ecotec 2.2L engine in a 2002 Grand AM- replaced timing chain.

Ecotec 2.2L engine in a 2002 Grand AM- replaced timing chain. Lined up on the marks. How many manual revolutions do you have to do for it to come back into time?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.

Installation Procedure

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Object Number: 412415  Size: SH

Important: If the balance shafts are not properly timed to the engine, the engine may vibrate and make noise.

1. Install the upper balance shaft chain guide.

Tighten
    Tighten the upper balance shaft chain guide bolts to 15 N·m (133 lb in).

Object Number: 412520  Size: SH

2. Install the balance shaft drive chain with the colored links lined up on with the marks on the balance shaft drive sprockets and the crankshaft sprocket. Use the following procedure to line up the links with the sprockets:

Orient the chain so that the copper colored and chrome links are visible.

3. Place the copper colored link (1) so that it lines up with the timing mark on the intake side balance shaft sprocket.
  4. Working clockwise around the chain, place the first chrome link (2) in line with the timing mark on the crankshaft drive sprocket. (approximately 6 o'clock position on the crank sprocket)
  5. Place the chain (3) on the water pump drive sprocket (alignment is not critical).
  6. Align the last chrome link (4) with the timing mark on the exhaust side balance shaft drive sprocket.
    Object Number: 412414  Size: SH

7. Install the small balance shaft chain guide.
  8. Tighten the balance shaft chain guide bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the chain guide bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Object Number: 412413  Size: SH

9. Install the adjustable balance shaft drive chain guide.

Tighten

Object Number: 412528  Size: SH

10. Turn the tensioner plunger 90 degrees in its bore and compress the plunger until a paper clip can be inserted through the hole in the plunger body and into hole in the tensioner plunger.
  11. Install the timing chain tensioner.
  12. Tighten the chain tensioner bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the chain tensioner bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

13. Remove the paper clip from the balance shaft drive chain tensioner.
    Object Number: 412200  Size: SH

14. Install the oil nozzle and bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the oil nozzle bolt to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Object Number: 466551  Size: SH

15. Install the crankshaft sprocket with timing mark at the 5 o'clock position.
    Object Number: 412535  Size: SH

16. Lower the timing chain through the opening in the top of the cylinder head. Carefully ensure that the chain goes around both sides of the cylinder block bosses (1, 2).
    Object Number: 466558  Size: SH

17. Install the intake camshaft sprocket with the INT diamond at the 2 o'clock position.
  18. Hand tighten a NEW intake camshaft sprocket bolt.
  19. Route the timing chain around the crankshaft sprocket with the matching colored link aligning with the timing mark.
  20. Route the timing chain around the intake camshaft sprocket with the uniquely colored link (1) aligning with the INT diamond.
    Object Number: 412160  Size: SH

21. Install the timing chain tensioner guide through the opening in the top of the cylinder head.

Tighten
    Tighten the timing chain tensioner guide bolt to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Object Number: 466570  Size: SH
  22. Install the exhaust camshaft sprocket with the timing chain matching colored link (3) at EXH triangle aligned at the 10 o'clock position.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

23. Ensure the timing marks and the colored links (1,2,3) are correctly aligned.
    Object Number: 412536  Size: SH

24. Use a 24 mm wrench to rotate the camshaft slightly, until exhaust sprocket aligns with the camshaft.
  25. Hand tighten the NEW exhaust camshaft sprocket bolt.
    Object Number: 412165  Size: SH

26. Install the fixed timing chain guide.

Tighten
    Tighten the fixed timing chain bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Object Number: 412164  Size: SH

27. Apply sealant, GM P/N 12378521 (Canadian P/N 88901148) compound to thread and install the timing chain guide bolt access hole plug.

Tighten
    Tighten the chain guide plug to 90 N·m (66 lb ft).

Object Number: 412167  Size: SH

28. Install the timing chain upper guide.

Tighten
    Tighten the timing chain upper guide bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Object Number: 714496  Size: SH

29. Inspect the timing chain tensioner. If the timing chain tensioner, O-ring seal, or washer is damaged, replace the timing chain tensioner.
  30. Measure the timing chain tensioner assembly from end to end.

A new tensioner should be supplied in the fully compressed non-active state. A tensioner in the compressed state will measure 72 mm (2.83 in) (a) from end to end. A tensioner in the active state will measure 85 mm (3.35 in) (a) from end to end.

Object Number: 797246  Size: SH
  31. If the timing chain tensioner is not in the compressed state, perform the following steps:
    31.1. Remove the piston assembly from the body of the timing chain tensioner by pulling it out.
    31.2. Install the J 45027-2 (2) into a vise.
    31.3. Install the notch end of the piston assembly into the J 45027-2 (2).
    31.4. Using the J 45027-1 (1), turn the ratchet cylinder into the piston.

Object Number: 714496  Size: SH

32. Inspect the bore of the tensioner body for dirt, debris, and damage. If any damage appears, replace the tensioner. Clean dirt or debris out with a lint free cloth.
  33. Install the compressed piston assembly back into the timing chain tensioner body until it stops at the bottom of the bore. Do not compress the piston assembly against the bottom of the bore. If the piston assembly is compressed against the bottom of the bore, it will activate the tensioner, which will then need to be reset again.
  34. At this point the tensioner should measure approximately 72 mm (2.83 in) (a) from end to end. If the tensioner does not read 72 mm (2.83 in) (a) from end to end repeat steps 30.1 and 30.4.
    Object Number: 412158  Size: SH
  35. Install the timing chain tensioner.

Tighten
    Tighten the timing chain tensioner to 75 N·m (55 lb ft).

36. Use a suitable tool with a rubber tip on the end. Feed the tool down through the camshaft drive chant to rest on the timing chain. Then give a sharp jolt diagonally downwards to release the tensioner.
    Object Number: 630311  Size: SH

37. Use a 24 mm wrench to hold the camshaft.

Tighten
    Tighten the NEW camshaft bolts to 85 N·m (63 lb ft) plus 30 degrees.

38. Install the camshaft cover. Refer to Camshaft Cover Replacement .
  39. Raise the vehicle.
  40. Install the engine front cover. Refer to Engine Front Cover Replacement .
  41. Lower the vehicle.
  42. Connect negative battery cable. Refer to Battery Negative Cable Disconnection and Connection .
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is pretty much the same information I have in the book. So once the timing chain is installed and all the marks line up, should it be in time? We did two revolutions and now the marks don't line up. Is two revolutions enough?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
The marks should line up after 4 revolutions...I would be more concerned with the timing marks instead of the chain links. If they line up initially along with the timing marks rotate the engine 4X and see where everything is then ok.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
4 revolutions clockwise or counter clockwise?
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Clockwise as you look at the timing chain and gears.
Dan, Auto Service Technician
Experience: GM ASEP A.A.S. 14 years GM experience. Mark of Excellence and Professional Guild awarded.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok, thank you
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
You are welcome and good luck.