Your Auto Inspector
Your Auto Inspector, Assistant Service Manager
Experience:  Tires Plus

Turn off service engine light on 2005 cadillac deville?

Customer Question

Category: Car
Expert:  Your Auto Inspector replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. I would be glad to assist you.

If you are refering to the oil change light then here is the re-set procedure:

ENGINE OIL LIFE SYSTEM

HOW TO RESET THE ENGINE OIL LIFE SYSTEM
The Engine Oil Life System calculates when to change your engine oil and filter based on vehicle use. Anytime your oil is changed, reset the system so it can calculate when the next oil change is required. If a situation occurs where you change your oil prior to a "CHANGE ENGINE OIL" message in the Driver Information Center (DIC) being turned on, reset the system.

After the oil has been changed, the "CHANGE ENGINE OIL" message must be reset. To reset the message, do the following:

1. Turn the key to the "ON" position without starting the engine.
  2. Press the "INFO" button on the Driver Information Center (DIC) until "ENGINE OIL LIFE" is displayed.
  3. Press and hold the "INFO RESET" button until "100% ENGINE OIL LIFE" is displayed. This resets the oil life indicator.
  4. Turn the key to "OFF". If the "CHANGE ENGINE OIL" message comes back on when you start your vehicle, the engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat the procedure. The percentage of oil life remaining may be checked at any time by pressing the "INFO" button until "ENGINE OIL LIFE" is displayed on the DIC.

If you're refering to the check engine light then you can re-set it by using a scantool to clear the DTCs. If you don't have a scantool then you can remove the battery cables for 2-3 minutes and it will re-set the engine computer's memory.

Remember that if there is an issue, the check engine light will come right back on. I can give you more information about your issue if you supply me the diagnostic trouble code. You can take your vehicle to Autozone and they will retrieve the codes for free.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to assist you.