Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

2003 Kia Sedona: changing..crankshaft pulley..the central bolt..loosen

We are changing out the crankshaft pulley in my 2003 Kia Sedona. My husband is having trouble getting the central bolt to loosen. What do you recommend?
Most mechanics would use a impact wrench, but if you do not have one you may be able to put a bar or screw driver through the pulley to let it bind on something (if there is a hole through the pulley) but you need to be sure it is not going to brake something. If there is no place to put a bar or something you will need to hold the pulley with a large pair of channel locks or something similar.
Daryl, Shop Owner, Certified Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic
Unless you remove the engine, an impact will not help you much in this vehicle. I used to work for kia and the way I used to do it is with a large pair of channel locks around the pulley and a braker bar on the bolt. That will get it off.