Tristan Franklin
Tristan Franklin, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
Experience:  8yrs. exp. engine repair performance brakes electrical air condition
10186415

the ignition key will not come out of my hummer h2 & the shifter

Customer Question

the ignition key will not come out of my hummer h2 & the shifter moves out of park goes into any gear without pushing the brake peddle down
Category: Car
Expert:  Tristan Franklin replied 6 years ago.

make sure the BTSI fuse under the hood is good and the B/U LP fuse. if good, inspect the park lock solenoid connector for a loose wire, if found repair as necessary, if it's ok replace the park lock solenoid (but make sure the wire is not broken) good luck. i hope i helped and please accept my answer. thanks T-MAN

Object Number: 896833  Size: SH
Click here for detailed picture of above image.

• Loosen the set screw (1).
  • Pull up to remove the shift control knob (2) from the transmission control assembly
  •  

Object Number: 815937  Size: SH

• Remove the screws that hold storage bin in place.
  • Remove the storage bin from the center console.
  •  

Object Number: 833294  Size: SH

• Loosen the locking screw that fastens the shift lever to the shifter.
  • Remove the shifter.
    Object Number: 833291  Size: SH
  • Using a flat bladed tool, pry up on the cup holder to release the clips.
  • Disconnect the PRNDL lamps from the cup holder.
  • Remove the cup holder.
  •  

• Remove screws that hold end panel to center console.
    Object Number: 832798  Size: SH
  • Disconnect electrical connectors to end panel.
    Object Number: 816358  Size: SH
  • Remove console end panel.
  •  

Object Number: 816360  Size: SH

Object Number: 815938  Size: SH

• Remove the bolts holding center console to center console bracket.
    Object Number: 816362  Size: SH
  • Remove the center console.
  •  

Procedure

Important: After assembling the shift lock actuator, turn the ignition forward but do not start (auxiliary position) and attempt to pull the lever from PARK with and without the brake pedal depressed to verify there is no gear access without the brake pedal depressed.

Important: Ensure the key cannot be removed from the ignition unless both the shifter is in PARK and the shift knob button has been depressed.

Object Number: 815938  Size: SH
    1. Remove the console. Refer to Console Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.
      Object Number: 896664  Size: SH
    2. Disconnect the shift lock actuator electrical connector (3).
      Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
    3. Shift assembly to LOW position.
    4. Loosen and remove the screw at the rear of the shifter assembly.
    5. Shift the assembly to the NEUTRAL position.
    6. Loosen and remove the top screw of the shift lock actuator through the lever slot.
    7. Pull lever to the DRIVE position and remove the shift lock actuator.