Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

1998 montero sport: alternator..v6 3.0..clip holding the wire..belt

Customer Question

Remove alternator 1998 montero sport v6 3.0 I do not know how to remove the clip holding the wire in the rear, or how to get the tension off the belt.
Category: Car
Expert:  Ivan replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer The tensioner for the alt. belt is located directly to the right of the alt. Loosen the nut on the front of the pulley and there is an adjustment bolt that is below it. Rotate and you will change the tension on the belt. As for the plug, it has a release tab that you need to depress. After removing the belt, remove the bottom bolt on the alternator, dislodge it from it's spot and rotate it so you can see the plug. You will see how to remove it at that time.

Your JA Expert,

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX can remove the belt. Now the release tab---depress usually with finger or special tool?
Expert:  Ivan replied 8 years ago.
You should be able to do it with your finger or a little screwdriver.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ivan ,I rotated the loose alt. had a good look at the WIRE CONNECTION on the rear of the alt. Do not .see any tab to press. There is a 3/4 " plastic covering the wire connection. What do I press?
Expert:  Ivan replied 8 years ago.

I don't have a good picture of the connector so we'll try this together. Do you have the replacement alternator yet. If so, look for the locking tab on the new one and index it to yours. If not try inserting the screwdriver in various points around the connector and put pressure to push the connector down. Let me know if you see something