Rich
Rich, Technician
Experience:  ase certified, mitsubishi certified, kia certified and landrover certified technician

I need to replace my timing belt on a 98 Mitsubishi Mirage

I need to replace my timing belt on a 98 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 1.5L.
Category: Car
Expert:  Rich replied 5 years ago.

Here is the instructions

1995-00 MODELS

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the engine undercover.
  3. Rotate the crankshaft clockwise and position the engine at TDC of the compression stroke.
  4. Raise and safely support the weight of the engine using the appropriate equipment. Remove the A/C clamp, front engine mount bracket and accessory drive belts.
  5. Remove the crankshaft pulley.
  6. Remove timing belt upper and lower covers.
  7. Make a mark on the back of the timing belt indicating the direction of rotation so it may be reassembled in the same direction if it is to be reused. Loosen the timing belt tensioner and move the tensioner to provide slack to the timing belt. Tighten the tensioner in this position.
  8. Remove the timing belt.

WARNING Coolant and engine oil will damage the rubber in the timing belt, drastically reducing its life. Do not allow engine oil or coolant to contact the timing belt, the sprockets or tensioner assembly.

1. If defective, remove the tensioner spacer, tensioner spring and tensioner assembly.

Click image to see an enlarged viewAlign the timing belt sprockets as indicated before removing the timing belt-1995-00 1.5L engine

To install:

1. Position the tensioner, tensioner spring and tensioner spacer on engine block.
  2. Align the timing marks on the camshaft sprocket and crankshaft sprocket. This will position No. 1 piston on TDC on the compression stroke.
  3. Position the timing belt on the crankshaft sprocket and keeping the tension side of the belt tight, set it on the camshaft sprocket, then the tensioner.
  4. Apply slight counterclockwise force to the camshaft sprocket to give tension to the belt and be sure all timing marks are aligned.
  5. Loosen the pivot side tensioner bolt and the slot side bolt. Allow the spring to remove the slack.
  6. Tighten the slot side tensioner bolt, then the pivot side bolt. If the pivot side bolt is tightened first, the tensioner could turn with bolt, causing over tension.
  7. Turn the crankshaft clockwise. Loosen the pivot side tensioner bolt, then the slot side bolt to allow the spring to take up any remaining slack. Tighten the slot bolt, then the pivot side bolt to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
  8. Install the timing belt covers and tighten the cover bolts to 84-96 inch lbs. (10-11 Nm). Install all other applicable components.
Rich, Technician
Experience: ase certified, mitsubishi certified, kia certified and landrover certified technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will be replacing it this week. If this is the correct information thanks in advanced. i will let you know.
Expert:  Rich replied 5 years ago.
ok