Rich
Rich, Technician
Experience:  ase certified, mitsubishi certified, kia certified and landrover certified technician
10415458

how do i remove the ignition cylinder on a 97 ford expedition

Customer Question

how do i remove the ignition cylinder on a 97 ford expedition lost key's please help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.

Hi Tom, here are instructions you requested, thanks for using Just Answer's.

Rich

Ignition Lock Cylinder

Ford Pick-Ups/Expedition/Navigator 1997-2000

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
With Functional Lock Cylinder
Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. 1 Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position and push the lock cylinder release pin with a suitable punch while ... Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. 2 ... pulling out the lock cylinder

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Detach the key warning chime connector.
  3. Turn the key to the RUN position.
  4. Place a 1/8 in. wire, pin, or small drift punch into the upper steering column shroud under the lock cylinder. Depress the retaining pin while pulling the lock cylinder out of the column housing.

To install:

1. Install the lock cylinder by turning the key to the RUN position and depressing the retaining clip.
  2. Insert the lock cylinder until it is fully seated and aligned with the interlocking washer.
  3. Turn the key to the OFF position, allowing the retaining pin to properly seat.
  4. Install the 2 shroud halves and retaining screws.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.
  6. Check for proper starting in PARK and NEUTRAL.
Non-Functional Lock Cylinder
Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. 3 Drilling out the lock retaining pin Click image to see an enlarged view Fig. 4 Breaking the cap away from the lock cylinder

This procedure should be used when the lock cylinder cannot be rotated due to a lost or broken key, or damage to the cylinder prohibiting the insertion of a new key.

CAUTION Follow the proper procedure to disarm the air bag, if equipped.
  1. Remove the horn assembly or air bag.
  2. Remove the steering wheel.
  3. Remove the air bag clockspring, if equipped with air bag.
  4. With a pair of pliers, twist the cap off the lock cylinder.
  5. Through the access hole in the lower column shroud, use a small center punch and then with an 1/8 in. drill bit, drill out the retaining clip. Be careful not to drill deeper than 1/2 in.
  6. Using a 3/8 in. drill bit, drill down the middle of the lock cylinder about 1 3/4 inches until the cylinder breaks away from the housing.
  7. Remove the lock cylinder and clean out all metal shavings from the housing. Inspect the housing and replace if damaged.

To install:

1. Install the lock drive gear, washer and retainer, if necessary.
  2. Install the lock cylinder by turning the key to the RUN position and depressing the retaining clip.
  3. Insert the lock cylinder until it is fully seated and aligned with the interlocking washer.
  4. Turn the key to the OFF position. this allows the retaining pin to properly seat.
  5. Connect the key warning chime electrical connector.
  6. Install the air bag clockspring if equipped with an air bag. Make sure that the clockspring is properly aligned.
  7. Install the steering wheel.
  8. Install the air bag or horn assembly, as equipped.
  9. Connect the negative battery cable.
  10. Check for proper starting in PARK and NEUTRAL.