Rich
Rich, Technician
Experience:  ase certified, mitsubishi certified, kia certified and landrover certified technician
10415458

How to remove the water pump housing on a 1998 Ford Escort ZX2

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.

Hi Vmike,

You didn`t include the engine size so I included all 3 possibilities with this post. Just scroll down to your engine.

Good luck

Rich

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
CAUTION Never open, service or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant. Also, when draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantities. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.1.8L Engine

See Figure 1

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Remove the timing belt.
  4. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  5. Remove the engine oil dipstick tube bracket bolt(s) from the water pump.
  6. Remove the two bolts and the gasket from the water inlet pipe.
  7. Remove all but the uppermost water pump mounting bolt.
  8. Lower the vehicle.
  9. Remove the remaining bolts and the water pump assembly.
  10. If the water pump is being reused, remove all gasket material from the water pump.
  11. Remove all gasket material from the engine block.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Exploded view of a water pump mounting-1.8L engineTo install:

1. Install a new gasket onto the water pump.
  2. Place the water pump into its mounting position, then install the uppermost bolt.
  3. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  4. Install the remaining water pump mounting bolts and tighten all bolts to 14-19 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).
  5. Install a new gasket onto the water inlet pipe.
  6. Install the two bolts from the water inlet pipe to the water pump and tighten to 14-19 ft. lbs. (19-25 Nm).
  7. Install the bolt to the engine oil dipstick tube bracket.
  8. Lower the vehicle.
  9. Install the timing belt.
  10. Fill the cooling system.
  11. Connect the negative battery cable.
  12. Start the engine and allow it to reach operating temperature. Check for coolant leaks.
  13. Check the coolant level and add coolant, as necessary.

1.9L Engine

See Figures 2 through 7

2. Drain the cooling system.
  3. Remove the timing belt cover and the timing belt.
  5. Remove the lower radiator hose from the water pump.
  6. Remove the heater hose from the water pump.
  7. Lower the vehicle.
  8. Support the engine with a suitable hydraulic floor jack.
  9. Remove the right engine mount attaching bolts and roll the engine mount aside.
  10. Remove the water pump attaching bolts.
  11. Using the floor jack, raise the engine enough to provide clearance for removing the water pump.
  12. Remove the water pump and gasket from the engine through the top of the engine compartment.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Disconnect the lower radiator hose (A) from the water pump (B) Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 3: Disconnect the heater hose (A) from the water pump (B) Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 4: Remove the water pump's lower mounting bolts (arrows) ... Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 5: ... and the upper mounting bolts Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 6: After raising the engine enough to provide clearance, remove the pump from the engine compartment Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 7: Use a scraper to clean the mating surfaces of the cylinder block and water pumpTo install:

1. Make sure the mating surfaces of the cylinder block and water pump are clean and free of gasket material.
  2. If the water pump is to be replaced, transfer the timing belt tensioner components to the new water pump.
  3. With the engine supported and raised with a suitable floor jack, place the water pump and the gasket on the cylinder block and install the four attaching bolts. Tighten the bolts to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
  4. Install the timing belt and cover.
  5. Roll the engine mount into position and install the mount bolts. Remove the floor jack.
  6. Raise and safely support the vehicle.
  7. Connect the heater hose to the pump.
  8. Lower the vehicle.
  9. Connect the negative battery cable.
  10. Refill the cooling system.
  11. Start the engine, allow it to reach normal operating temperature and check for coolant leaks.
  12. Check the coolant level and add as necessary.

2.0L Engine

SOHC ENGINE

See Figure 8

2. Raise the car and support it with safety stands.

CAUTION Never open, service or drain the radiator or cooling system when hot; serious burns can occur from the steam and hot coolant. Also, when draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantities. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.

1. Drain and recycle the engine coolant.
  2. Remove the timing belt.
  3. Unfasten the timing belt tensioner bolt and remove the tensioner.
  4. Disconnect the lower radiator hose from the water pump.
  5. Lower the car and disconnect the heater hose from the water pump.
  6. Unfasten the three bolts and one stud from the water pump.
  7. Remove the water pump.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 8: Location of the water pump mounting bolts (A) and stud (B)-2.0L SOHC engineTo install:
WARNING Do not use any abrasive grinding discs to remove gasket material. Use a plastic manual gasket scraper to remove the gasket residue. Be careful not to scratch or gouge the aluminum sealing surfaces when cleaning them.

1. Clean the gasket surfaces thoroughly until all traces of the old gasket residue are removed. Inspect the gasket mating surfaces, both must be clean and flat.
  2. Install a new gasket and the water pump.
  3. Install the water pump bolts and stud to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
  4. Connect the heater hose to the pump.
  5. Raise the car and support it with safety stands.
  6. Connect the lower radiator hose to the pump.
  7. Install the timing belt tensioner and tighten the bolt to 15-22 ft. lbs. (20-30 Nm).
  8. Install the timing belt and lower the car.
  9. Fill the cooling system with the proper amount and mixture of coolant.
  10. Start the engine and check for leaks.

DOHC ENGINE

See Figure 9

3. Unfasten the splash shield bolts and remove the shield.
  4. Loosen the water pump pulley retaining bolts, then remove the drive belt.
  5. Remove the A/C compressor bolts and move the compressor aside.
  6. Unfasten the water pump retainers and remove the pump from the middle timing belt cover.

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 9: Remove the water pump mounting retainers-2.0L DOHC engineTo install:

1. Install the water pump and tighten the retainers to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
  2. Place the A/C compressor in position and tighten the mounting bolts.
  3. Install the drive belt and tighten the water pump pulley bolts.
  4. Install the splash shield and tighten the bolts.
  5. Fill the cooling system with the proper amount and mixture of coolant.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.
  7. Start the engine and check for leaks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Rich's Post: Rich,
Thanks for the reply--I need to actually remove the housing that holds the water pump. I believe that it requires removing the timing gears but I am not sure. Thanks for the help.

Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.

Hello again Mike,

What engine do you have and are talking about the housing behind the crank gear? All my information tells me that the water pump bolts to the engine block.

Let me know

Rich

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Rich's Post: Rich,
It is the 2.0 motor. So was I correct in thinking that the timing gear and belt needs removed to gain access? Thanks again. It appears to be leaking behind the housing--not the water pump. The pump is only a couple of months and appears to be fine.

Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.

Hi Mike,

I think this is a picture of what you were asking for but I have not found the info saying it is servicable yet. I am still looking but wanted to let you know I have not forgotten.Also since it is leaking behind that you might want to make sure the head gasket is not leaking in the mean time.And yes you are corroect, if this is servicable you will have to take the timing belt off.

Expert:  Rich replied 6 years ago.

Hi Mike,

I can`t pull up any more info on this so I am going to opt out and open the question up for another expert to assist you so you can get youe car fixed. If I do come up with more info I will post you back but in the meantime if some-one else can get the info they can get it to you.

Rich