OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic

1996 Lincoln Town Car: changing spark plugs..anything special

changing spark plugs on a 1996 Lincoln Town Car. Is there anything special I need to take off?
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

The only thing that you may need to remove to give yourself more room is the air intake tube. You may need a large extention and a spark plug socket to get the plugs out. Other than that it's straigh foward.

Removal & Installation

Grasp the plug wire and carefully twist the wire to release the retainer from the spark plug the plug wire is stubborn, a pair of special removal pliers is recommended to remove the wires from the plugs

Grasp the plug wire and carefully twist the wire to release the retainer from the spark plug. If the plug wire is stubborn, a pair of special removal pliers is recommended to remove the wires from the plugs

Click to Enlarge
Carefully remove the plug wire from the cylinder head

Click to Enlarge
A special spark plug socket with a rubber insert is needed to remove the spark plugsypically the spark plugs require a

A special spark plug socket with a rubber insert is needed to remove the spark plugs. Typically the spark plugs require a 5/8 socket

Click to Enlarge
Using a suitable drive tool and the special socket, loosen the spark plug and . . idth=

Using a suitable drive tool and the special socket, loosen the spark plug and . . .

Click to Enlarge
. . move the spark plug from the engine

. . . remove the spark plug from the engine

Click to Enlarge
Clean out the spark plug bore and threads before installing the new spark plug

Click to Enlarge
An inspection of the old spark plugs will give a general idea of the condition of the motor, compare the spark plugs to the chart in this section

Click to Enlarge
A piece of fuel line or a small hose is useful in installing the spark plugs to avoid stripping the threads

Click to Enlarge

OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic