Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager

1998 Ford escort zx2: dohc..gauge is reading hot but I..driven

Customer Question

I have a 1998 Ford escort zx2 (dohc) the temp. gauge is reading hot but I have not driven the car in over 24 hours. I had a problem with this last year and the mechanic that fixed it is currently closed for business. I''m not sure if the problem is the temp. sensor on the car or not. He said that the temp. gauge is misleading and he knew exactly what it was. Do you think that it could be the temperature sensor or something similar that I can simply and cheaply replaced myself?
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 8 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

It sounds like the problem is with the sending unit, however, it would be a good idea to disconnect it to see if that will effect the gauge. You can get one after market for about $15. Here is the location of it along with some steps to change it.

Drain the radiator.

• Disconnect the connector from the water temperature indicator sender unit.
    1. Remove the water temperature indicator sender unit.

1. Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.

• Tighten the water temperature indicator sender unit.
  • Fill the cooling system with Ford Premium Engine Coolant System Fluid E2FZ-19549-AA or -B (in Oregon, F5FZ-19549-CC, in Canada, Motorcraft CXC-8-B) or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESE-M97B44-A in a 50/50 mixture with water.
  • Start the engine and check all hoses and connections for leaks. Allow the engine to warm up so that the water thermostat opens.
  • Stop the engine. Top off coolant recovery reservoir as required to maintain minimum cold fill level.