OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic

1992 geo tracker ,turns over but still wont start.

Customer Question

its not the fuel pump
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

I would suggest that you first check if the car is getting any fuel.

You can do this with a simple at home test.

• Open the hood and locate the intake manifold
  • Take a hose off the intake manifold (any hose will work)
  • Spray starting fluid or carb cleaner into the intake manifold (spray quite a bit)
  • Put the hose back and attempt to start the car.

This is a manual bypass of the whole fuel system.

If the car starts and dies, the fuel is not reaching the chambers (bad pump, injectors, or ecm)

If the car starts and remains on the car had a clogged or dirty fuel system

Car still does nothing, we need to move on and test for spark.

OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience: Mechanic
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well istilwont start

Okay did the cranking change or was it the same?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
same

Thank you.

That means we have a spark problem. You can confirm the spark problem by doing the following test.

• Open the hood and locate the spark plugs wires
  • Pull off one of the wires from the spark plug and put it close to a ground
  • Put the wire to where it's almost touching the ground
  • Have someone crank the car while you are holding the wire.
  • If you do not see a little arc of spark shooting from the wire to the ground , the car does not have spark.
  • Put the wire back when test is complete

This issue can be cause by a bad ignition coil, igniter, ignition rotor, or distributor.

We will test them from most likely to leak likely. You can perform the spark test (test mentioned above) prior to proceeding to testing the ignition coil. The most common cause of this issue is the ignition coil. When the coil goes out, the car does not have spark. You will need a voltmeter or multimeter to conduct the testing.

The ignition coil is secured to a mounting bracket, which is located on the firewall of the engine compartment

The ignition coil should be approximately 68°F (20°C) when tested.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

Disconnecting the battery cable on some vehicles may interfere with the functions of the on board computer systems and may require the computer to undergo a relearning process, once the negative battery cable is disconnected.

1. Detach the lead wire connector and coil-to-distributor wire from the ignition coil.

To inspect the ignition coil primary circuit, use an ohmmeter to measure the circuit's resistance as shown-1990-95 Samurai models

Connect the ohmmeter to the ignition coil as indicated for the primary circuit test-1989-95 fuel-injected Sidekick and Tracker models

The ohmmeter should be connected to the terminals shown for ignition coil testing-1996-98 models

1. Using an ohmmeter, measure the primary coil resistance between the positive (+) and negative (-) coil terminals. The primary coil resistance should be as follows:

• 1.3L engines-0.9-1.1 ohms

• 1989-93 1.6L engines-0.72-0.88 ohms

• 1994-95 1.6L engines-1.08-1.32 ohms

• 1996-98 1.6L engines-0.7-0.9 ohms

2. Using an ohmmeter, measure the secondary coil resistance between the positive (+) terminal and the coil-to-distributor wire terminal (on the coil). The secondary coil resistance should be as follows:

• 1.3L engines-10.2-2.8 kilohms

• 1989-93 1.6L engines-10.2-3.0 kilohms

• 1994-95 1.6L engines-22.1-29.9 kilohms

• 1996-98 1.6L engines-2-18 kilohms

Measure the secondary circuit resistance by connecting an ohmmeter to the terminals shown-1990-95 Samurai models

For 1989-95 fuel-injected Sidekick and Tracker models, attach the ohmmeter to the ignition coil as shown for secondary circuit testing

If the primary or secondary resistance is not as specified, replace the ignition coil.

1. Install the coil, and reattach all wires to it.

2. Connect the negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
its getting spark

You checked for spark and it's shooting spark?

DId you check on just one of the wires, or all?

Because here is the thing.

If the car has spark and the car has fuel (we supplied fuel directly), then we have a bigger issue.

Here is the equation for starting the car.

Fuel + Spark + Air = Start.

We have fuel and we have spark, this would mean that we are not getting air (compression).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
just one.it did not spak everytime and seemed week
Now we are getting somewhere. That sounds like a bad coil. Others will cause no spark, coil will cause weak sparks and intermittent spark problems. If you can get your hands on a voltmetere and test the coil, I am sure you will find it bad.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok ill have to get a volt meter thank you it was worth every penny
If you need any futher help with this just let me know in this thread so you don't get charged twice for the same problem.