Tristan Franklin
Tristan Franklin, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
Experience:  8yrs. exp. engine repair performance brakes electrical air condition
10186415

Dodge Dakota: My instrument cluster stop working the other day

My instrument cluster stop working the other day.Got a used instrument cluster and had some friends of my brother looked at it and said it was getting current to the cluster but they can''t figure out why it won''t work. It's a Dodge Dakota 1998
Category: Car
Expert:  Tristan Franklin replied 6 years ago.

good luck. please accept my answer. thanks T-MAN

Preliminary Diagnosis

1. If the indicator lamps operate, but none of the gauges operate, go to Step 2. If all of the gauges and the data bus message-controlled indicator lamps are inoperative, go to Step 5.
  2. Check the Ignition-Off Draw (IOD) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 3. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
  3. Check for battery voltage at the IOD fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 4. If not OK, repair the open circuit as required.
  4. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument cluster. Connect the battery negative cable. Check for battery voltage at the fused B(+) circuit cavity of the instrument cluster wire harness connector (connector A). If OK, go to the Self-Diagnostic Test. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the IOD fuse as required.
  5. Check the fused ignition switch output (run/ start) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 6. If not OK, repair the shorted circuit or component as required and replace the faulty fuse.
  6. Turn the ignition switch to the On position and check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run/start) fuse in the junction block. If OK, go to Step 7. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the ignition switch as required.
  7. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Reinstall the instrument cluster. Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Set the parking brake. The red brake warning lamp should light. If OK, go to Step 8. If not OK, go to Step 9.
  8. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Turn on the park lamps and adjust the panel lamps dimmer rheostat to the full bright position. The cluster illumination lamps should light. If OK, go to Step 10. If not OK, repair the power ground circuit from the instrument cluster wire harness connector (connector A) to ground as required.
  9. Turn the ignition switch to the Off position. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument cluster. Connect the battery negative cable. Turn the ignition switch to the On position. Check for battery voltage at the fused ignition switch output (run/start) circuit cavity of the instrument cluster wire harness connector (connector A). If OK, go to the Self-Diagnostic Test. If not OK, repair the open circuit to the junction block fuse as required.
  10. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument cluster. Check for continuity between the logic ground circuit cavity of the instrument cluster wire harness connector (connector A) and a good ground. There should be continuity. If OK, go to the Self-Diagnostic Test. If not OK, repair the open circuit to ground as required. Self-Diagnostic Test The instrument cluster self-diagnostic test will put the instrument cluster into its self-diagnostic mode. In this mode the instrument cluster can perform a self-diagnostic test that will confirm that the instrument cluster circuitry, the gauges, and the CCD data bus message-controlled indicator lamps are capable of operating as designed. However, there may still be a problem with the CCD data bus, the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) , the Airbag Control Module (ACM) , the Controller Anti-lock Brake (CAB) , or the inputs to one of these electronic control modules. Use a DRB scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Procedures for testing of these components.
  1. Begin the test with the ignition switch in the Off position.
  2. Depress the trip odometer reset button.
  3. While holding the trip odometer reset button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the On position, but do not start the engine.
  4. Keep the trip odometer reset button depressed for about ten seconds, until CHEC appears in the odometer display, then release the odometer reset button.
  5. A series of three-digit numeric failure messages may appear in the odometer display, depending upon the failure mode. If a failure message appears, see the Instrument Cluster Failure Message chart for the description and proper correction. If no failure message appears, the Self-Diagnostics will proceed as described in Step 6.
  6. The instrument cluster will begin the odometer walking segment test. This test will require the operator to visually inspect each odometer segment as it is displayed to determine a pass or fail condition. First, all of the segments will be illuminated at once; then, each individual segment of the odometer display will be illuminated in sequence. If any segment in the display fails to illuminate, repeat the test to confirm the failure. If the failure is confirmed, replace the faulty instrument cluster. Following the odometer walking segment test, the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Test will automatically proceed as described in Step 7.
  7. The instrument cluster will perform a bulb check of each indicator lamp that the instrument cluster circuitry controls. If an individual amber indicator lamp does not illuminate during this test, the instrument cluster should be removed. However, check that the incandescent lamp bulb is not faulty and that the bulb holder is properly installed on the instrument cluster circuit board before considering instrument cluster replacement. If the bulb and bulb holder check OK, replace the faulty instrument cluster. Each of the red indicators are illuminated by a Light Emitting Diode (LED) . If an LED fails to illuminate during this test, the instrument cluster must be replaced. Following the bulb check test, the instrument cluster Self-Diagnostic Test will automatically proceed as described in Step 8.
  8. The instrument cluster will perform a gauge actuator test. In this test the instrument cluster circuitry positions each of the gauge needles at three different calibration points, then returns the gauge needles to their relaxed positions. If an individual gauge does not respond properly, or does not respond at all during the gauge actuator test, the instrument cluster should be removed. However, check that the gauge terminal pins are properly inserted through the spring-clip terminal pin receptacles on the instrument cluster circuit board before considering instrument cluster replacement. If the gauge terminal connections are OK, replace the faulty instrument cluster.
  9. The Self-Diagnostic Test is now completed. The instrument cluster will automatically exit the self-diagnostic mode and return to normal operation at the completion of the test, if the ignition switch is turned to the Off position during the test, or if a vehicle speed message indicating that the vehicle is moving is received from the PCM on the CCD data bus during the test.
  10. Go back to Step 1 to repeat the test, if required.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to T-man's Post: Where is the Ignition-Off Draw fuse, I have checked under the hood and found, what I call the fuse box, there is another one on the left side at the bottom left of the instrument cluster or about there. I found the fuse box under the hood but can't find any fuse that's says anything close to what you mentioned.
my diagram does not give a location of the fuse but it is suppose to be in the fuse block left side of the dash, also if this fuse was bad the radio and clock would not be working at all. good luck. and please accept my answer. thanks T-MAN
Tristan Franklin, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
Experience: 8yrs. exp. engine repair performance brakes electrical air condition