Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

2004 GMC Yukon: coolant..cracked..cylinder head..oil pressure gauge

Customer Question

2004 GMC Yukon with coolant loss, cracked Right cylinder head, oil pressure gauge was fluctuating, loss of power.
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
This sounds as though it very well be a problem with the cylinder head. I would advise you to check to see if your oil looks like butter. If it does, you most likely do have an issue with the cylinder head or possibly a cylinder head gasket. The power loos could be due to a few things, #1 leaking compression from the cylinder, #2 mixing coolant into the cylinder causing for a missfire. I would advise you to also pull the plugs on the right bank and see if you note any that are very clean. If so, you likely have found the problematic cylinder. Feel free to contact me with any questions! Good luck!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The dealer had already stated that theres a crack in the right cylinder head. I have just been screwd so bad by another local dealer (different vehicle) that I am very concerned about possible engine damage that they are not telling me aboutespecially when my father states that the soolant going into the engine is a recipe for disaster. Any ideas on how I should further address this issue with the dealership?
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
Honestly the only way you are going to be certain about engine damage is by actually disassembling the engine as far as the crank and rod main bearings goes. This is the only way to visually inspect what the coolant has done to friction areas such as the engine internal bearings. Your father is correct, if the engine has been run for any amount of time with coolant in the oiling system there can be damage. There is no exact science on this though. I have repaired many with this type of problem and have had good luck. There have been a few though that went back together and had instant problems.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks somuch have a great evening! Brenda
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
No problem! You do the same! If this has helped please press accept!