Bob
Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired
2210118

Where are the spark plugs in a 2000 Infiniti I30T, and how ...

Customer Question

Where are the spark plugs in a 2000 Infiniti I30T, and how to replace them?
Category: Car
Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.

The plugs are mounted under the ignition coils. The coils must be removed to access the plugs. Instructions posted below, thanks

1. Remove left side rocker cover ornament.
  2. Disconnect ignition coil harness connectors.
  3. Loosen ignition coil fixing bolts and pull out coil from intake manifold connector.

1. Remove spark plugs with suitable spark plug wrench. Spark plug (Platinum-tipped type): Use standard type spark plug for normal condition. The hot type spark plug is suitable when fouling may occur with the standard type spark plug such as:
    • frequent engine starts
    • low ambient temperatures

The cold type spark plug is suitable when spark knock may occur with the standard type spark plug such as:

• extended highway driving
  • frequent high engine revolution

Gap (Nominal): 1.1 mm (0.043 in)
20 - 29 Nm (2.0 - 3.0 kg.m, 14 - 22 ft.lb)

• Do not use a wire brush for cleaning.
  • If plug tip is covered with carbon, spark plug cleaner may be used. Cleaner air pressure:

• Checking and adjusting plug gap is not required.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Hi Bob,

I'd like to thank you for having taken the time out of your day to reply to my question. The diagram you included is helpful, however, the text appears to be right out of the owner's manual because it looks very much like what I've already read. Please allow me to confirm what I think is being said: If I'm facing the engine of my car directly from the front (imagine that I'm leaning into my car where my knees are on the radiator), and the decorative rocker cover has been removed. Okay...here I have found 3 of the six ignition coils, or access to 3 of the 6 spark plugs. Where are the other 3? I'm thinking that they are located directly to the LEFT of the Brake fluid reservoir.

Now, if I'm right then how do I access them to replace them, because it appears that (A) I'd have to climb on top of the engine; and (B) that I'd have to remove something to get to the ignition coils because there's very little room. So....what do you think?

Thank you for allowiung me to further impose upon you.

Angelo Baez

Lexington, KY

Expert:  Bob replied 8 years ago.

Hi Angelo, the info I got came from the service manual for the car, so it is very similar to your manual. Unfortunately, I have never done one of these myself and it looks like they could have done a much better job of explaining things, than they did. You may be correct and you may have to stretch to get to the back side of the motor to remove the coils to get to the plugs. I am going to send you another picture of the coil locations and hope that it will be helpful for you, trying to do the job. It shows the left and right sides separately. Thanks a lot for the accept and if there is anything else I can do that will help feel free to let me know. Thanks

graphic