Dan, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  GM ASEP A.A.S. 14 years GM experience. Mark of Excellence and Professional Guild awarded.

1993 Cadillac: Sedan Deville..L..a right front wheel bearing replaced

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Cadillac Sedan Deville, 4.9 L Motor with ABS. I need a right front wheel bearing replaced. As I am unemployed, I''d like to try and do this repair myself. Is this a difficult remove/replace?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
If you don't have access to air tools and a lift it would be alot more difficult. The nut holding the axle inside the hub can be a bear without an impact gun as could the 3 bolts holding the hub to the spindle. It can be done without air tools and using just hand tools but you may be sweating and busting knuckles by the time it's all said and done.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I appreciate the reply. Apparently Dan believes I should have air tools and a lift. However, he did not tell me how to complete the remove/replace portion ofthe repair.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Sorry, here are those directions ok.

Front Wheel Bearing and Hub Replacement

Removal Procedure

Tools Required

J 28733-B Front Hub Spindle Remover

1. Raise the vehicle and support the frame with jack stands. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Wheel Removal in Tires and Wheels.
    Object Number: 144025  Size: SH

3. Insert the drift punch into the rotor and remove the hub nut and washer.
  4. Remove the caliper and support. Refer to Brake Caliper Replacement in Disc Brakes.
  5. Remove the rotor. Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement in Disc Brakes.
    Object Number: 161267  Size: SH

6. Separate the drive axle from the hub using the J 28733-B .
    Object Number: 204183  Size: SH

7. Remove the hub and bearing retaining bolts.
  8. Disconnect the ABS wheel speed sensor connector from the hub and bearing assembly.
  9. Remove the wheel bearing and hub.

Installation Procedure

1. Connect the ABS wheel speed sensor connector to the hub and bearing assembly.
    Object Number: 204183  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

2. Connect the hub and bearing assembly to the knuckle.

Tighten
    Tighten the hub and bearing retaining bolts to 95 N·m (70 lb ft).

3. Install the rotor. Refer to Brake Rotor Replacement in Disc Brakes.
  4. Install the caliper and support the caliper by using new caliper mounting bolts. Refer to Brake Caliper Replacement in Disc Brakes.
    Object Number: 144025  Size: SH

5. Install the drift punch into the rotor and partially tighten the hub nut and washer.
  6. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Wheel Installation in Tires and Wheels.

Tighten
    Tighten wheel nuts to 140 N·m (100 lb ft).

7. Lower the vehicle.

Tighten
    Tighten the hub nut to 145 N·m (110 lb ft).

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The only links I am able to see are the pictures. None of the other links work. The reply is "you are not an authorized" and the GM parts and service logo is attached.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Let me see about getting those links to you ok.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The last comment from Dan was, "Let me see about getting you the links" I never received the links. The pictures, and comments that refer to the links I could not see, did not provide enough information to do the repair. Therefore, I have had to seek an alternative.