Tristan Franklin
Tristan Franklin, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
Experience:  8yrs. exp. engine repair performance brakes electrical air condition
10186415

how do you remove the cv axle on a 1989 isuzu trooper 4 ...

Customer Question

how do you remove the cv axle on a 1989 isuzu trooperXXXXX2.8 v6
Category: Car
Expert:  Tristan Franklin replied 6 years ago.

i hope i helped and please accept my answer. thanks T-MAN

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Halfshaft Without the DOJ Case

See Figure 1

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 1: Exploded view of the right side halfshaft assembly (left halfshaft similar)-If the DOJ case does not need to be removed, the halfshaft can be removed without lowering the front axle assembly

If the DOJ case does not require servicing, as is the case with outer CV-joint servicing or inner CV-joint overhaul, use this procedure. The halfshaft, with the exception of the DOJ case, can be removed without removing the entire front axle assembly.

1. If equipped with 4-wheel drive, shift the transfer case shift lever into 2H. Drive the vehicle a few feet forward and reverse to verify that the front axle is disengaged.
  2. Set the front wheels and steering wheel in the straight-ahead position. Lock the steering column in this position, and remove the key.
  3. Apply the parking brake and block the rear wheels.
  4. Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle on jackstands.
  5. Remove the front wheels and underside skid plate.
  6. Remove the front brake calipers and caliper mounting brackets. Do not disconnect the brake line. Hang the brake calipers from a wire, do not allow the calipers to hang from the brake hoses. For more information, refer to .
  7. Remove the locking hub assembly and rotors on both sides, as described earlier in this section.
  8. If equipped with ABS, unbolt the front wheel sensor brackets from the steering knuckles. Move the sensors out of the work area. They do not need to be disconnected.
  9. Use a ball joint separator tool to disconnect the upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends, and then remove the steering knuckles.
  10. If necessary for added clearance, matchmark and disconnect the pitman arm and idler arm. Remove the steering linkage as an assembly.
  11. Remove the inner CV-joint boot clamp, then slide the boot away from the joint. To remove the clamp, it may be necessary to pry the hooked end of the clamp up with a small prytool.
  12. Remove the circlip from the DOJ case, then pull the halfshaft away from the DOJ case.
  13. Remove the halfshaft from the vehicle.

To install:

1. If the halfshaft was not overhauled, clean the DOJ joint of all dirt and grease, then fill the inner boot and DOJ with 5.25 oz. (150g) new grease. Install the halfshaft into the DOJ case and install the circular clip into the groove so the open ends are positioned away from the ball groove.
  2. Slide the boot onto the DOJ case, insert a tool under the boot lip to allow the pressure to equalize and tighten the new boot clamps. The boot should be installed so the edge of the smaller end is 6.5 in. (16.5cm) from the opposite edge of the DOJ case.
  3. Install the steering knuckles and assemble any suspension components that were disconnected or removed.
  4. Install the rotor and hub assemblies, as described earlier in this section.
  5. Install the caliper mounting brackets and the brake calipers. For more information, refer to .
  6. If necessary, install the steering linkage assembly.
  7. If equipped, reconnect the ABS front wheel sensors.
  8. Install the radiator skid plate. Tighten the bolts to 58 ft. lbs. (78 Nm).
  9. Install the transfer case skid plates and tighten their bolts to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
  10. Install the front wheels.
  11. Lower the vehicle, remove the rear wheel blocks and adjust the ride height.
  12. If the steering linkage was removed, have the front wheel alignment checked by a reputable automotive technician.
  13. If necessary, bleed the brake system.
  14. Verify that the front axle and hubs engage and disengage properly.
  15. Road test the vehicle.

Entire Halfshaft Assembly, Bearing and Seal

See Figure 1

If the entire halfshaft (including the DOJ case) must be removed from the vehicle, the entire front axle assembly should be removed from the vehicle for ease of disassembly, since the mounting brackets for the axle assembly are also the halfshaft-to-differential mounting brackets. These brackets must be unfastened to remove the inner DOJ case from the assembly.

1981-87 PICK-UP AND 1985-87 TROOPER MODELS

See Figure 2

Click image to see an enlarged viewFig. 2: Front axle assembly on all 1981-95 models

1. Apply the parking brake and block the rear wheels.
  2. Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle on jackstands.
  3. Remove the front wheels and underside skid plate.
  4. Remove the front brake calipers and caliper mounting brackets. Do not disconnect the brake line. Hang the brake calipers from a wire, do not allow the calipers to hang from the brake hoses. For more information, refer to .
  5. Remove the locking hub assembly and rotors on both sides, as described earlier in this section.
  6. Remove the front differential housing and axles as an assembly. Refer to the axle assembly removal and installation procedure later in this section.
  7. Drain the differential case and remove the 4 bolts attaching the axle mounting brackets to the case and to the axle tube flange.
  8. Pull the shaft and mounting assemblies from the case on both sides.
  9. Remove the outer snapring and remove the front axle shaft bearing.
  10. Remove the inner snapring, the O-ring, and the front axle shaft seal.
  11. Remove the halfshaft from the axle mounting bracket.

To install:

1. Install the halfshaft into the axle mounting bracket.
  2. Install a new grease seal and O-ring.
  3. Install the inner snapring, the front axle shaft bearing, and the outer snapring.

Before installing the axle shaft bearing, lightly lubricate the bearing with differential lube.

1. Connect the axle mounting bracket and halfshaft assembly to the differential. Tighten the axle mounting bracket bolts to 40-47 ft. lbs. (54-64 Nm) for 1981-87 Pick-Up models, or to 61 ft. lbs. (83 Nm) for 1985-91 Trooper models.
  2. Install the differential and axle assembly into the vehicle.
  3. Install the rotors and locking hub assemblies on both sides.
  4. Install the front disc brake calipers and caliper mounting brackets.
  5. Install the front wheels and skid plate.
  6. Lower the vehicle and adjust ride height.
  7. Refill the differential with the proper lubricant. For more information regarding filling the front drive axle, refer to . If necessary, bleed the brake system.
  8. Road test the vehicle and verify proper operation.

1988-95 TROOPER AND PICK-UP, 1989-94 AMIGO AND 1991-95 RODEO MODELS

See Figures 1 and 2

The right axle shaft is an integral part of the right halfshaft assembly. Removal of the left axle shaft involves disassembling the shift-on-the-fly four-wheel drive gearbox. The inboard joints of both halfshafts fit through the axle mounting brackets, which are bolted to the axle housing, therefore the axle housing should be removed from the vehicle for ease of disassembly.

1. Shift the transfer case shift lever into 2H. Drive the vehicle a few feet forward and reverse to verify that the front axle is disengaged.
  5. Remove the front wheels.
  6. Remove the radiator skid plate.
  7. Remove the transfer case skid plates.
  8. Drain the oil from the differential.
  9. Unbolt the calipers from their brackets. Support the calipers out of the way on wire hangers. Don't disconnect the brake hoses. For more information, refer to .
  10. Remove the caliper mounting bracket from the steering knuckle.
  11. Remove the automatic hub and brake rotor assemblies. Note the positions of the hub snaprings, shims, and lockwashers for reassembly.
  12. If equipped with ABS, unbolt the front wheel sensor brackets from the steering knuckles. Move the sensors out of the work area. They do not need to be disconnected.
  13. Use a ball joint separator tool to disconnect the upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends, and then remove the steering knuckles.
  14. Matchmark and disconnect the pitman arm and idler arm. Remove the steering linkage as an assembly.
  15. Unbolt and remove the suspension crossmember from its brackets at the lower control arms.
  16. Matchmark the front driveshaft flanges to the differential and transfer case flanges. Unbolt and remove the front driveshaft.
  17. Support the front axle assembly with a floor jack and safety stands.
  18. Remove the 4 bolts which secure the right halfshaft axle mounting bracket to the differential. Do not unbolt the left halfshaft from the axle.
  19. Remove the mounting bracket bolts which secure the right and left axle mounting brackets to the vehicle's frame.
  20. Separate the right halfshaft and axle mounting bracket assembly from the differential and allow it to rest on the lower control arm. If only the right halfshaft needs servicing, stop the axle removal procedure at this point. Remove the right halfshaft from the vehicle along with the axle assembly mounting bracket. Skip to Step 22 for further right halfshaft disassembly.

WARNING Be careful not to damage the CV-joints, boots, or splined shafts when removing the axle.

1. Follow these steps to remove the axle assembly:
    1. Verify that the axle assembly is securely supported by the floor jack. Remove the safety stands.
    2. First, slide the axle to the left to release the splined stub axle of the right halfshaft, if still installed.
    3. Next, lower the axle slightly and slide it to the right so the left halfshaft clears the left lower control arm.
    4. Finally, completely lower the axle from the vehicle.
  2. Remove the right halfshaft from the vehicle. Follow these steps to remove the right axle shaft seal and bearing:
    1. Remove the snapring from the splined shaft.
    2. Remove the shaft bearing. Use a puller if necessary, but don't damage the shaft or splines.
    3. Remove the inner snapring.
    4. Remove the axle mounting bracket and oil seal from the right halfshaft.
  3. With the axle out of the vehicle, unbolt the left halfshaft from the axle case. Remove the halfshaft together with the left axle mounting bracket.
  4. Follow these steps to remove the left axle shaft seal and bearing:
    2. Remove the shaft bearing. Use a puller if necessary, but do not damage the shaft or splines.
    3. Remove the inner snapring.
    4. Remove the axle mounting bracket and oil seal from the left halfshaft.

To install:

Use new self-locking nuts and color-coded bolts when assembling the axle assembly mounts and suspension components. Suspension fasteners should be tightened to their final torque specifications when the vehicle is on the ground.

1. Visually inspect the axle shafts for wear and damage.
  2. Lightly lubricate the bearing and grease seal with differential oil before installation.
  3. Assemble the left and right halfshaft and axle mounting bracket assemblies
    1. Install the axle mounting bracket onto the halfshaft.
    2. Lubricate and install a new oil seal.
    3. Install a new inner snapring.
    4. Install a new bearing.
    5. Install a new outer snapring.
  4. Place the right halfshaft and axle mounting bracket assembly into position, and rest it on the right lower control arm. If only the right halfshaft was removed, skip Step 28.
  5. Position the axle and left halfshaft assembly on a floor jack. Raise the axle into position.
  6. Fit the right halfshaft and axle mounting bracket assembly into the differential. Make sure the splined stub axle shaft is fully seated. Be careful not to distort the oil seal when connecting the right mounting bracket to the differential.
  7. Install the mounting brackets and halfshafts to the axle housing. Tighten the mounting bolts to the following specifications:
    • 19951/2 Rodeo with air bags-85 ft. lbs. (116 Nm)
    • 1988-95 Amigo, Rodeo, and Pick-Up-61 ft. lbs. (82 Nm)
    • 1995 Trooper-85 ft. lbs. (116 Nm)
    • 1988-94 Trooper-61 ft. lbs. (82 Nm)
  8. Raise the axle assembly into its final position and support it with safety stands.
  9. Install the mounting bracket bolts, nuts, and spacers. The washer fits under the bolt and the spacer is used with the nut. Tighten the mounting nuts and bolts:
    • 1988-96 Amigo and Pick-Up-112 ft. lbs. (152 Nm)
    • 1988-95 Trooper and Rodeo-112 ft. lbs. (152 Nm)
  10. Install the steering knuckles and assemble any suspension components that were disconnected or removed.
  11. Install the brake backing plates and the rotor and hub assemblies.
  12. Install the caliper mounting brackets and the brake calipers.
  13. Check the lubricant level in the differential and add oil if needed.
  14. Verify that all axle assembly mounting components have been installed.
  15. Align the front driveshaft matchmarks. Install the driveshaft flange bolts and tighten them to 46 ft. lbs. (63 Nm).
  16. Install the suspension crossmember and tighten the bolts to 58 ft. lbs. (78 Nm).
  17. Install the steering linkage assembly.
  18. If equipped, reconnect the ABS front wheel sensors.
  19. Install the radiator skid plate. Tighten the bolts to 58 ft. lbs. (78 Nm).
  20. Install the transfer case skid plates and tighten their bolts to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
  21. Install the front wheels.
  22. Lower the vehicle, remove the rear wheel blocks and adjust the ride height.
  23. Check and adjust the front wheel alignment.
  24. Tighten the suspension bushing fasteners to their final torque specifications. Refer to for these specifications.
  25. If necessary, bleed the brake system.
  26. Verify that the front axle and hubs engage and disengage properly.
  27. Road test the vehicle.