wrench9124
wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Master Certified, ASE Master Certified, 32 years exp, GM Hybrid Certified, GM Mark of Excellence
5720312

GMC: I was driving the check engine light came..engine codes..injector

I have a 03 GMC sierra with a 6.6 duramax diesel. While I was driving the check engine light came on and started running very badley. I pulled engine codes,P0202,P0203,P0205,P0208,P1621,P2149, witch are injector related. Code P2149,states group B, supply voltage-open circuit open. Now could be caused from a bad sensor or just a bad connetion?
Category: Car
Expert:  wrench9124 replied 6 years ago.

Hello, and welcome to JA!!!! there are a couple of things to look at here. i have seen a few of these trucks have a problem with the wiring harness rubbing thru to the FCIM. on the front of the right valve cover is the FCIM, the wiring harness from the fcim will tend short out against the bracket on front of the valve cover. here is a picture of the FCIM. also I am going to make another post for some service info on these codes.

Object Number: 776372  Size: MF

Diesel Engine with Injector Driver Codes P0201-P0208 - keywords 6.6L DTC FICM LB7 MIL miss misfire power P0202 P0203 P0204 P0205 P0206 P0207 P2146 P2149 -

Subject:Diesel Engine With Injector Driver Codes P0201-P0208

Models:2001-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak, Silverado
2001-2004 GMC Sierra, TopKick
Equipped with the 6.6 LB7 Diesel Engine

Intermittent injector driver codes P0201 through P0208.

. If the cause of the concern is not found through normal diagnostics, check for loose or corroded wire connections at the injector. The engine valve cover must be removed to perform this check.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
trouble code P2149 indicates open in power supply voltage
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not sure what circuit to check for power

Yes that is correct. but if the codes 202, 203, 205 and 208 are set. the diag flow chart states to diag the injector codes first. if any of the wires are rubbed thru to the FCIM these codes can set.

Circuit Description

The fuel injection control module (FICM) supplies high voltage to each fuel injector on the ignition voltage circuits. The FICM energizes each fuel injector by grounding the command circuit between the FICM and the fuel injector. The FICM monitors the status of the ignition voltage circuits and the fuel injector command circuits. When a fuel injector circuit condition is detected by the FICM, all of the fuel injectors on the affected ignition voltage circuit will be disabled. If a circuit condition is detected on a fuel injector circuit for cylinders 1, 4, 6, or 7, DTCs P0201, P0204, P0206, P0207 will set, along with DTC P2146. If a circuit condition is detected on a fuel injector circuit for cylinders 2, 3, 5, or 8, DTCs P0202, P0203, P0205, P0208 will set, along with DTC P2149.

wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Master Certified, ASE Master Certified, 32 years exp, GM Hybrid Certified, GM Mark of Excellence
Just FYI the FCIM produces 90 volts to each injector.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
After checking all injector circuits and wireing ,splices and connections and not finding any problems. I started the truck wiggeled wires and checked for loose connections tring to get it to act up but it would not.The light never came back on.I drove the truck about 25 miles it ran fine except for a couple little jerks once. I stopped for fuel wile waiting at the pump it quit.After about 20 miniuts it finely started I drove about 8 miles it quit again and would not start.I got towed home,tring to start the truck piereodicley on the way and no start.When I got home about 30 miniuts later I tried to start it again and it started the engine lite was on, but it was running ok.I pulled the codes and they were differant this time-PO370,PO611. Upon driving the truck it died and is currently still dead. Won't start!

Ok, both of these codes refer to a no start condition. the code P0611 pretty much states a bad FCIM.

DTC P0611

Circuit Description

The fuel injection control module (FICM) has the ability to perform internal circuit checks on the FICM microprocessor, status of the monitoring module, and status of the FICM A/D conversion module. If the FICM senses a problem in the FICM circuits, the FICM will send an error message to the engine control module (ECM). If this condition exists, DTC P0611 will set.

Conditions for Running the DTC

The ignition is ON.
DTC U1800 or U2104 are not set.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The FICM detects an internal circuit fault.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTc

The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Step

Action

Yes

No

1

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check-Engine Controls?

Go to Step 2

Go to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Controls

2

Replace the fuel injection control module. Refer to Fuel Injector Control Module Replacement .

Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 3

--

3

1. Use a scan tool to clear the DTCs.
  2. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
  3. Start the engine.
  4. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text.

Does the DTC run and pass?

Go to Step 4

Go to Step 1

4

With a scan tool, observe the stored information, Capture Info.

Does the scan tool display any DTCs that you have not diagnosed?

Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List

System OK

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there anything I should know before I start replacing the FICM?

nothing special here. here is the replacement instructions.

Fuel Injector Control Module Replacement

Object Number: 662504  Size: SH

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable .
  2. Unsnap the positive battery cable cap.
  3. Loosen the positive battery cable bolt.
  4. Remove the positive battery cable.
  5. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct.
  6. Remove the fuel fill cap in order to relieve the fuel pressure.
    Object Number: 660358  Size: SH

7. Cut and discard the large tie straps from the control module (6) and harness.
  8. Remove the fuel line bolts (4) from the control module (6).
  9. Remove the control module bolts (1, 5).
  10. Remove the control module insulators (2) between the module and bracket.
    Object Number: 744247  Size: SH

Important: Do not break off the tab on the electrical connector.

11. Disconnect the control module electrical connectors (2).
    Object Number: 744237  Size: SH

12. Remove the fuel lines (2) from the control module (1) and discard washers.
  13. Remove the control module (1) from the bracket.

Object Number: 660358  Size: SH

Important: Do not knock off the insulators when installing the fuel injector control module to the bracket.

1. Install the insulators (2) to the control module (6).
  2. Install the control module.
    Object Number: 744237  Size: SH

3. Install by hand the fuel lines (2) and bolts with new washers to the control module (1).
    Object Number: 660358  Size: SH

4. Install the control module bolts (1, 5).

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 744247  Size: SH

5. Connect the control module electrical connectors (2).
    Object Number: 660358  Size: SH

6. Install the fuel line bolts (4) to the control module (6).
  7. Tighten the eyebolts (4).

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 35 N·m (26 lb ft).

8. Install the air cleaner outlet duct. Object Number: 662504  Size: SH

9. Install the positive battery cable.
  10. Tighten the positive battery cable bolt.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolt to 17 N·m (13 lb ft).

11. Snap the positive battery cable cap closed.
  12. Connect the negative battery cable .
  13. Install the fuel fill cap.
  14. Depress the fuel manager primer button 30 times.
  15. Start the engine. If the engine stalls, repeat steps 13 and 15.
  16. Inspect for fuel leaks.
wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician