Ironmike
Ironmike, ASE Master Tech, L1
Experience:  30 years GM certified, Ford certified
11302663

95 buick: auto trans, runs good but after stopping at light..overdrive

95 buick park ave,3.8 auto trans, runs good but after stopping at light , it goes into neutual and you must manually put it into 1st before it will go. Then you can put it into 3rd or overdrive and it will go ok , untill you stop again. What could be the problem???????????

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other Experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-How many miles are on your Car?

-What have you already tried?

Is there any maintenance history?
Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
there are 151,870 miles. We have checked fluid level but don't know what to do nexy. i know there are different sensors etc but don't know where and whitch one to check. Any sugestions?? Darrell

GreetingsCustomer

I see you have a lot of miles on that trans. Most Techs wouldn't want to open that up or if they did they would be selling you a remanufactered one. Since it is not slipping , I would suggest to try a trans flush.Most work on these trans axles need to be done out of the vehicle( the tech will drop the sub frame). It seems to be a valve body problem and possibly a solenoid sticking. Usually a good shop will add a cleaner to the trans first for a few minutes, then hook up the flush machine. I have done quite a few and it is amazing how dirty the fluid is coming out and how clean it looks in the trans after done. If this doesn't work , time for a new car or trans.

Good luck Mike