Jaxer Smith
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 yrs experience and currently own and operate an Auto Repair Center

No Comment Added

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Jaxer Smith replied 8 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer!

Oil smoke (blue) or coolant smoke (white) will not cause your vehicle to fail emissions test. If you have Fuel Smoke (Black) this will fail you. This is caused by a rich running condition.

First place to start would be a complete tune up and if there is a check engine light on, have necessary repairs made to turn light off.

If this is a carburetor engine, you may also need to have the carburetor tuned and the ignition timing set.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It dont smoke black and I cant tell if its blue or white I know the spark plugs I pulled today was black as ever and the valve cover gaskets leak the oxygen sensor was disconnected when got under the hood do u think i need to replace it is there any type of tempory fix for the smoking

Witht he O2 Sensor disconnected the engine will smoke. Replace it. Also, you may need to change the oil as the extra fuel that is being forced into the engine because the O2 Sensor is missing may cause it to become contaminated and add to the smoking. The is no temporary fix for a smoking engine.. No need to worry about the smoke if it isn't black. But the missing O2 Sensor needs to be there!

If it has any codes Autozone will check them for FREE!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
also it runs good but when I put it in gear it dies out it just bogs down and dies any suggestions on what it might be and how to fix it?