OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp, Mechanic
Experience:  Mechanic
9051600

85 chrysler: I start her she kicks out alot of white smoke

Customer Question

How can I stop My 85 chrysler 5th ave to stop smoking (white smoke) she runns good but when I start her she kicks out alot of white smoke?
Category: Car
Expert:  OnlineHelp replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer.

It sounds like you have a head gasket or piston rings that are going out. White smoke indicate that coolant is being burned. It may not be too bad if you are not getting any smoke during drive. However when you turn the car off and the car is sitting it would accumulate.

Then when you start it up, white smoke would appear. You need to check the coolant level to see if it has dropped.

You can try adding some bar's head gasket repair and see if it get's better. If not you may need to have the head gasket replaced.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the coolant level is good its also throws alot of oil it looks like the valve cover gaskets need to be replaced do u think that it will help stop the smoking

If it's throwing noise from the valve cover it may drip down on spark plugs and get into the chambers. I would go ahead and take car of any external leaks that you see. If you still get white smoke during start up, try adding a head gasket repair additive.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I took the spark plug out today and man was it black i am going to replace the plugs is there anything else i can do to stop the smoke it also kicks out a rich smell of carbon monoxide when I looked under the hood the oxygen sensor was disconnected should i replace it?