Scott K
Scott K, ASE Master Tech/Instructor
Experience:  20 yrs exp. Electrical; Driveabilty; Undercar; Airconditioning. Domestic and Foreign.

Dodge Ram 2500: 5.9L..o2 sensor..air/fuel ratio gauge

Customer Question

I have a "01" Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L truck and was told that there is a primary and secondary o2 sensor. Bank 1 or bank 2 pre cat sensor is what i'm looking for to locate the primary sensor. I'm trying to connect a air/fuel ratio gauge.
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott K replied 8 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer,

The primary 02 sensors will be between the exhaust manifold and the catalytic converters, These monitor engine fuel ratio and the secondary ones monitor the converters.

The drivers side is where cylinder #1 is and it is labled bank 1, the passenger side is labled bank 2, the primary sensor is labeled sensor 1, the secondary is labled sensor 2.

1/1 primary drivers side

2/1 primary pass side

1/2 secondary drivers side

2/2 secondary pass side.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Ok, will this A/F ratio gauge cause problems with the ECM connecting to the o2 sensor
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Also are the o2 sensors wide band or narrow band>
Expert:  Scott K replied 8 years ago.

Sorry for the delay,

Yes this could cause problems any time you "tap" into a factory harness especially a sensor signal, the 02 operate on millivolts if you create resistance when connecting this will skew the signal sent to the ECM.

If you are set on connecting the gage, I would recomend soldering it in for the best possible connection.

As far as the narrow or wide band, I am not positive on this but I am about 95% sure it is the narrow band.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you for the help!!
Expert:  Scott K replied 8 years ago.
Thank You for the accept!