Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech w/ 20+ years in the field. Self employed for 9 years. Member of AUTOLAB radio show.

my 2002 ford explorer sport suv cranks but wont start ...

my 2002 ford explorer sport suv cranks but wont start unless i cycle the ignition switch on and off at least 3 to 4 times every time i start up. it runs great always even driving for 11 hour trips what can the cause be

HelloCustomer It sounds like your truck may have a fuel pump issue. Each time you cycle the key, you build fuel pressure a little bit at a time. Someone needs to check the fuel pressure on your truck to verify if the fuel pump is faulty. The fuel pressure specification for your truck is 30-65 psi. When you turn the key on without starting the truck, the computer turns to fuel pump on for 2 seconds. When you crank the vehicle fuel pressure cycles right up to the proper pressure when things are normal. Check your fuel pressure and you'll probably see a pressure that is very low or sluggish to raise to the proper level. Also fuel pressure should maintain itself. It should not drop in pressure after you shut the vehicle off. If it does, it is either the fuel pump or the fuel pressure regulator. Let me know if you need anything else.

Your JA Expert,

If you feel that I've helped you at all, please press accept. That's how I get credit. Thank you.